CalCofi Cruise Report

  • toddamcgrath
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 5:59 PM
      Calbirders:

      I am forwarding the following report from Peter Pyle about the
      latest CalCofi Cruise. This spring seems to be an excellent one for
      petrels. in addition to these reports, Murphy's Petrels were
      recorded in good numbers on two 4 day trips from San Diego designed
      to locate these species.

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Marina Del Rey CA

      Hi all -

      Adam Brown returned last weekend from a 2-week CalCofi trip and had
      a few
      interesting birds (inside of 200 nmi unless indicated):

      Murphy's Petrel - 200+
      Mottled Petrel - 2 (one outside of 200 nmi)
      Stejneger's Petrel 1 outside of 200 nmi
      Solander's Petrel - 1 possible in direct comparison with Murphy's
      Band-rumped Storm-Petrel - 2 possibles ("band rumps and flew like
      Spotted
      Sandpipers).
      Red-tailed Tropicbird - 1
      Laysan Albatross - 20+

      I forgot to ask about Cook's Petrel so he may have had these as well.
      Perhaps one of you could forward this on to Calbird and Pelagics
      (which I
      can't access from my home computer). Peter