Hawaiian Petrel

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 2 , May 4, 2003
      Skipper Richard Ternullo called me this afternoon to report a HAWAIIAN
      PETREL, actually he said Dark-rumped Petrel but this species was
      recently split by the AOU into Galapagos and Hawaiian Petrels. For an
      overview on the identification and distribution of these two species
      and the records within California check out Don Roberson's web page at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/DRPE_id.html

      The bird was seen in Monterey Bay initially 2 miles w of Moss Landing in
      the course of a whale watch trip. Richard was unable to get photos
      initially but relocated the bird about an hour later in the vicinity of
      Pt. Pinos and was able to shoot off a couple of rolls of film.
      If accepted this will be the second Monterey County record.

      If only our Monterey Seabirds trip had been scheduled for today instead
      of next Sunday!
      By the way there are still plenty of spaces available for Sunday, May
      11. Don Roberson and Dan Singer will be leading. Call 831 375-4658 or go
      to http://www.montereyseabirds for reservations. Cost is $70 per person.

      See you on the water,
      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
      Soquel, CA
    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 2005
        The highlight of today's Monterey Seabirds trip was a HAWAIIAN PETREL
        spotted 9.17 miles west of Pt. Pinos. The bird was last seen flying
        towards Santa Cruz county two miles from the county line.

        Everyone on board was able to get on the bird but no photos were managed.

        We also had ASHY, BLACK and LEAST STORM PETRELS.

        Tomorrow we have an offshore trip scheduled but the weather looks a bit
        dubious and if we decide not to go out of the bay we will do a shorter
        trip and charge for it accordingly. We will still be leaving the dock at
        5:30 am.
        Spaces are still available. 831 375-4658 or http://www.montereyseabirds.com

        Cheers,
        Roger Wolfe