Re: Cassin's Vireo closest to Los Angeles

  • Chuck & Lillian
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      I'd suggest Temescal Canyon in Pacific Palisades, about 30 minutes north of LAX. There is a nice amount of riparian habitat along the trail from the road-end above Sunset Blvd., and I have seen the vireo there.
      Go east from LAX to #405 Fwy (San Diego Fwy); N about 6 miles to #10 Fwy (Santa Monica Fwy, west about 3.5 miles to where the Fwy ends at Pacific Coast Hwy (PCH). Another 2-3 miles NW along the coast to Temescal Cyn Blvd. Turn right, go up the hill about 1 mile to Sunset Blvd. If parking is available and legal at the time you arrive, you can park on Temescal Cyn Blvd just below Sunset. If you can't, proceed directly across Sunset about 2/10ths mile to the parking lot at the road end, where it costs $5 (I believe) to park.
      Total driving time LAX to park is about 30 minutes, unless you get stuck in rush-hour traffic.
      Chuck Almdale
      Santa Monica, Ca
      misclists@...
      At 08:40 PM 04/30/2003 -0400, REWaldrop@... wrote: <SNIP> So, my next question: where would be the nearest place to the LAX airport that would be fairly reliable for Cassin's Vireo?