Cone Peak

  • vladimir
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      Dear All,
      We climbed Cone Peak (above Lucia on Hwy 1) last Monday. Despite
      recent burn, mountain quails are still very common there. Another
      bird of interest was N saw-whet owl, heard at the end of Cone Peak
      Rd. one mile past the Cone Peak trailhead.
      While driving through Monterey, we saw a mule deer walk into harbor
      seal colony there. The seals got totally freaked out, and remained in
      the water for ten minutes, until the intruder walked away.
      Vladimir Dinets
      Sta.Cruz Mts.
      www.hotcity.com/~vladimir
      P.S. Thanks to everyone for S CA pelagic trips info. Looks like the
      only one available is San Miguel Island trip - not really a pelagic
      one, but certainly the best for Guadalupe fur seal.
      I'll probably also get a chance to go on a very long trip W from San
      Francisco in a private yacht in mid-May.