Ringed Teal?

  • Lu Plauzoles
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
      I was casually birding alone 10 days ago off north of state 37 in the
      Napa-Sonoma marsh. I parked in what seemed to be the only legal space
      at a hunters' entrance gate. In the channel to the right (east) of the
      walking/driving burm there was, alone, what at first glance appeared
      to be a gadwall, but the next day while I was leafing through the
      Kaufman, the picture of the Ringed teal (p.45) jumped out at me. I
      then remembered this bird flapping as in take-off but only progressing
      forward just above water. Has anyone else seen this presumed escaped
      calloneta leucophrys? major rufous secondaries and white rumped or
      upper tail coverts.
      Lu Plauzoles
      Santa Monica
      lacite@...
    • Les Chibana
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 30, 2003
        There has been a male Ringed Teal in Stowe Lake, Golden Gate Park,
        San Francisco, for a few years. At one point, someone released a female
        apparently to "keep him company". She's since disappeared. In the mid
        90's there was a male Ringed Teal in the South Bay at Oka Ponds next
        to Hwy 17/880 and Los Gatos Creek Park. He was there only a short
        while. This seems to be a somewhat popular duck for live collections.
        They are attractive.

        Les Chibana, Palo Alto CA