European goldfinches

  • walter wehtje
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
      Regarding Goldfinches. I've seen one European Goldfinch on the Oxnard Plain
      (December 1992) and about five for sale at the Oxnard Petco. It would take
      a lot to convince me any European Goldfinch found in Southern California is
      a true vagrant. I've seen Ringed Turtledove (October 1998), a definite
      escapee, on San Nicolas Island, and an unidentified Aratinga Parrot (May
      1993) on Santa Barbara Island. Both Islands are as far offshore as San
      Clemente, and are obviously within range of geographically challenged escapees.

      Walter Wehtje
      Camarillo, CA

      >****Plus, a possible real vagrant European Goldfinch was seen on San
      >Clemente Island in Cal.****
    • Les Chibana
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2001
        There was a bit more about this goldfinch on the Frontiers of Bird ID list.
        There was a question about the particular subspecies. Here's the message
        that was forwarded to that list. Unfortunately, there was no e-mail address
        provided for Brian Sullivan.

        Les Chibana, Palo Alto, CA

        ---------------------------------

        Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 14:12:43 EDT
        From: Tony Leukering
        Subject: RFI: EuroGoldfinch

        Hi all:

        Brian Sullivan (on San Clemente Island, CA) asked me to forward this to
        ID-Frontiers. Please respond to the list or to Brian privately.

        Thanx,

        Tony Leukering
        Brighton, CO

        On 1 August, 2001 a male European Goldfinch was found by John T. Brollini
        feeding with a flock of migrant Lesser Goldfinches in the weedy vegetaion
        below Stone Station, one of the better migrant traps on San Clemente Island,
        CA. The bird was observed by many, and photographed extensively by Brollini
        throughout the course of the day. Initially, the bird was thought to be an
        escaped caged bird, but further study, upon consulting a few authorities and
        looking at the photos, revealed the following interesting features.

        The European Goldfinch commonly depicted in North American field guides is
        the nominate subspecies Carduelis carduelis carduelis. After close
        inspection of the photos, it is glaringly obvious that our bird is the
        subspecies C. c. paropanisi. The bird is clearly gray-headed and possesses
        an enormous bill, unlike anything I've seen in North American guides. This
        subspecies is migratory and, according to Sparrows and Finches (Clement et
        al.), winters south to Iran.

        We know the bird was not released on SCI and must have come and gone with a
        flock of migrant finches. Does anyone know of any North American records for
        this subspecies? Are there many subspecies of European Goldfinch commonly
        kept in the US as cage birds? Is there any way this finch with distribution
        in Central Asia could make it to the US west coast under its own power? Any
        comments would be greatly appreciated. We do not have access to a scanner
        here on SCI, but can possibly provide scans on a later date to those
        interested.

        Thanks

        Brian Sullivan
        Institute for Wildlife Studies