Fw: Greenshank/Redshank

  • canyonwren
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 7:40 PM
      Hi Calbirders,
      Below is a post that Chet Ogan has asked me to forward. I think it is info
      some of you have been waiting for. Amazing that you should have both
      Greenshank and Redshank at the same time and so close together. Please
      report your sightings on these species to Calbirds so others who need these
      species will know if they are still being seen. SEE THE FORWARD BELOW MY
      SIGNATURE.

      Good Birding!
      Lynea Hinchman
      Co-listowner, BIRDHAWK
      Michigan City, IN
      canyonwren@...

      Use Channel 11 subcode 22 in Indiana

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1 7:59 PM
        On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 21:40:30 -0500, "canyonwren"
        <canyonwren@...> wrote:

        >> Common Redshank- Arcata Oxidation Pond
        >>
        >> The person who saw the Redshank (Kerry Ross) also saw the Ruff, and says
        >> although the bill colors may be similar, the redshank had a bill roughly
        >> twice the length of the head. He did not see the bird fly to make a
        >> positive ID.

        Thanks for the information.

        Common Redshank has been recorded only once in North America in
        Newfoundland. The AOU Check-List (7th ed) mentions "Unsatisfactory
        sight reports from Nova Scotia and Texas."

        The species does not range to NE Asia and has never been recorded in
        Alaska. Its occurrence in Arcata would be fantastic, if true.

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044: mailto:jmorlan@...
        Birding classes in SF start Sep 5: http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/