go west young Anhinga, go west

  • SiriusGuy@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9, 2003
      I now understand that just as in real estate, much of birding is "location,
      location, LOCATION!" From www.enature.com regarding the usual Anhinga range,
      which is clearly NOT California:

      <<Range Breeds near Atlantic and Gulf coasts from North Carolina to Texas, in
      Florida, and in Mississippi Valley north to southern Missouri and Kentucky.
      Winters along Gulf Coast north to South Carolina. Also in tropical America.>>

      Similarly, on a recent day birding in the Honolulu area, looking for species
      I had not previously seen, finally near Diamondhead I came across a Northern
      Mockingbird. I figured that to see such a "common" bird meant that I might
      as well quit for the day.

      Yet once I got home, and checked the Oahu Christmas Bird Count figures, I
      discovered that for that area, a Mockingbird is one of the RAREST species. In
      fact, for Oahu, out of the twenty or species I recorded, almost surely that
      was the least common one to see!

      Alan Birnbaum
      Fresno, CA

    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2003
        Alan,

        Isn't that the truth? When my parents lived in Florida, Anhingas were yard
        birds.

        The range map in Sibley shows a couple of accidental sightings in
        southeastern CA, and breeding range along the west coast of Mexico at least
        as far north as the mouth of the Gulf of California.

        The CBRC Master List website
        <http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Vines/8439/master.txt> shows the
        following Anhinga records:

        ANHINGA Anhinga anhinga (7,3,3,0)

        Accepted
        1. 2 Jun-16 Jul 1939 L. Merced SF 2-1979-7,12
        2. 4 Feb 1977-20 Jan 1979 Sweetwater Reservoir SD 3-1977-11 (ph.)
        3. 27 Nov 1983-9 Jun 1984 Lee L. (now Corona L.) RIV 30-1984-9 (ph.)

        Rejected, identification not established
        9-12 Feb 1913 Potholes IMP 1-1979-9
        14 Nov 1981 Laguna Dam IMP 159-1986-15
        30 Jul 1995 San Joaquin Marsh ORA 88-1995-21

        Submitted/In circulation
        2 Nov 1994 (2) Westminster Memorial Park ORA 23-1995

        At 12:12 PM 2003-04-09 -0400, SiriusGuy@... wrote:
        >I now understand that just as in real estate, much of birding is "location,
        >location, LOCATION!" From www.enature.com regarding the usual Anhinga range,
        >which is clearly NOT California:
        >
        ><<Range Breeds near Atlantic and Gulf coasts from North Carolina to Texas, in
        >Florida, and in Mississippi Valley north to southern Missouri and Kentucky.
        >Winters along Gulf Coast north to South Carolina. Also in tropical America.>>

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        Steve Sosensky, SoCal Bird Guides www.sosensky.com/guides/
        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.3 N, 118:22:02.1 W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22 SMS: stevesosensky@...