4/9-NO Anhinga

  • Andrew Howe
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2003
      They say that April is the cruelest month . . .

      With some AM hours free I thought I'd journey south
      for the Anhinga at Ramer Lake in Imperial County.
      Before dawm I was at Ramer (by the green fishing line
      on the main east/west dike); by all appearances,
      however, the Anhinga was not. I don't know whether it
      has departed or was just playing a very successful
      game of hide-and-seek. The bird could have easily
      been fishing or sitting on a lower perch, but I spent
      a couple of hours at that location at several
      different points during the morning (including pretty
      early on) with no success.

      Birding various locales along the Alamo River south
      towards Holtsville (including Finney Lake) also proved
      fruitless. The sole highlight was a small flock of
      gulls (with seven nicely plumaged alternate Franklin's
      among them) that insisted on sitting IN the road along
      Kershaw just north of the entrance to Ramer. I don't
      know what they were feeding on, but it was amazing to
      see Franklin's Gulls unabashedly parading around the
      tarmac like that; somehow it seemed beneath their
      dignity!

      Good luck and good birding,

      Andrew Howe
      Loma Linda, CA