Imperial County

  • Bob Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2003
      Hi all,

      Arrived home late Monday night from four days afield with no internet access
      to some interesting news.

      Tuesday April 8, I went out to Ramer Lake at 0600 and the Anhinga found by
      Kimball Garrett was already in the spotting scopes of a great group of
      birding teenagers, "Team Birdwatch", on a west coast birding tour sponsored
      by Seattle Audubon Society. Within minutes we were joined by Jim Abernathy,
      Dick Norton and Steve Sosensky who had been on the road since 0300!! The
      Anhinga was sitting high in the middle of the Cattle Egret roosting area.
      The spot to view from is marked by a tangle of neon colored fishing line
      near the west end of the east/west levee that divides Ramer Lake. Look to
      the south. Numerous pictures were taken but the distance, even for
      digiscoping, was extreme.

      The Seattle group followed me out to the east side of the prison where we
      had greats looks at one Sprague's Pipit.

      NOTE: The Bermuda grass fields that the Sprague's Pipits have been staying
      in are now being irrigated and the crop is beginning to mature and develop
      seed heads. We have been EXTREMELY fortunate that the farmer has allowed
      birders access to these fields to view these birds all, ALL, winter. It is
      now time for this crop to develop and if you have not yet searched out the
      Sprague's Pipits you have missed your chance. :-( The fields are no longer
      accessible. Let us not wear out our welcome! Pass the word.

      The Seattle birders are now headed north so if you see a dark green van
      festively adorned with "Team Birdwatch" and "birders on board", do as the
      sign on their side window says!! "Honk if you like birds!"

      (!__!)
      (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
      {}~~{} BOB MILLER
      Southwest Birders