Anhinga

  • peterginsburg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2003
      Subject bird previously reported by Kimball Garrett still present at
      Ramer Lake this morning from before sunrise until ???? We left bird
      on perch. Look south from point on dike marked by chartreuse
      fishing line hanging from tamarisk.
      Peter Ginsburg
      Encinitas
    • Gjon_Hazard@r1.fws.gov
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 7, 2003
        Not to question the identification of this bird, per se, but folks looking
        for this bird should be cautious. For several years, there has been an
        African Darter seen sporadically in the same greater vicinity. I do not
        know if it has been seen recently.

        Cheers,
        -Gj

        -------------------
        Gjon Hazard
        Carlsbad
      • Bob Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2003
          Hi all,

          The Anhinga at Ramer Lake was seen today at 1350 as it came out of the water
          and worked it's way up to the same perch on which it was seen yesterday
          morning. I had been there for about ten minutes when I spotted it as it came
          up. I made my way completely around the lake and it is about as centered as
          you can get which does not make for an easy pic! The color around the eye
          is very striking. Standing at the spot with the neon fishing string, look to
          the SW corner of the lake and there is a large Tamarisk tree by the power
          lines in the distance (where the power line makes a turn). Count five poles
          to the left and the bird seems to favor the tall snag which appears to be on
          line just left of the fifth pole.

          (!__!)
          (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
          {}~~{} BOB MILLER
          =='''='''==
          Southwest Birders
          Imperial County, CA
          760-455-1413
          http://www.southwestbirders.com
          bob.miller@...
        • Bob Miller
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2003
            Hi all,

            The Anhinga was seen this morning, 4-11, at Ramer Lake from 0845 till 0930.
            It was perched a little farther west than on previous occasions but
            continues to select the highest snags. At 0930 it took to the air and flew
            directly over us on the levee. It then began to circle above the north end
            of Ramer Lake where we last saw it as we left.

            At the SB Salton Sea NWR we had two Franklin's Gulls circling above the
            parking area with about 40 Bonaparte's Gulls for the entire time we were
            there for lunch at noon. Several Gull-billed Tern came over also. On the
            east side of Garst Road was one imm. Yellow-footed Gull with other gulls.

            (!__!)
            (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
            {}~~{} BOB MILLER
            =='''='''==
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 11:00 PM
              Both the Anhinga and the Darter were present this afternoon in the
              Ramer Lake nesting colony. They were well separated and after a
              while the Anhinga departed for points unknown. Don't look for the
              day-glo fishing line marking the pull-off, it's gone.
              Peter Ginsburg
              Encinitas CA
            • scre@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 22, 2004
                This morning from about 7:40-8:05 AM the Anhinga was at Finney Lake. The
                bird was in the eastern most pond at the SE corner sitting in a tam next to the
                road. Excellent views were had till the bird (after sunning its self some)
                took off toward the campground and Rammer Lake. At Sperry and Eddings in the
                usual spot were 2 female Ruddy Ground Doves and a Dusky Flycatcher. Checked for
                the Roseate Spoonbill with no luck. Good Birding

                David Vander Pluym
                Santa Cruz