Re: [CALBIRDS] eBird: A Call for Participation

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2003
      At 12:56 PM 4/4/2003 -0500, you wrote:

      >What process in eBird insures the quality or validity of the reports that
      >are entered? This has been a primary concern I have had. Similarly, with
      >the Great Backyard Bird Count, the info seems largely unvetted and other
      >than selected rarities, I can't see how such a thing could be controlled
      >for quality. Any thoughts on this re eBird?

      Birders:

      David Suddjian raises an important point about eBird that I did not
      elaborate upon in my initial message.

      For each state (and, in California, for the northern and southern regions)
      a set of "Filters" was developed by the eBird staff and local authorities
      (usually an NAB regional editor). These filters allow eBird to flag
      unusual observations. For example, if you were to report five
      Yellow-breasted Chats in southern California in May, there is no
      problem. But a report of a hundred chats in May, or of even a single chat
      in December, would trigger a flag when such records are entered. The
      observer is alerted that such a sighting is unusual, and is asked to
      "confirm" it. Obviously a bogus sighting can still be "confirmed" by the
      observer, but it is not entered into the eBird database until a regional
      authority (NAB editors, again, will likely play an important role here) has
      vetted the record (either through familiarity with the circumstances or
      through requesting, receiving and approving documentation). For CBRC
      review species, a flag will obviously pop up for any claim in any month of
      the year.

      Yes, incorrect sightings will infiltrate the eBird database. Especially
      troubling are records that don't trigger flags given the existing filters
      (for example, an Abert's Towhee could be entered from Santa Barbara because
      the filters only go down to the state or regional level). But there are
      ways of assuring as clean a database as possible, and the eBird staff, NAB
      staff (over time) and other regional authorities will be enlisted to
      continually improve mechanisms for keeping the records "clean." And on the
      positive side, this could be a great vehicle for bringing important records
      to the attention of regional editors.

      Ultimately I would like to see eBird filters in California written at the
      County level, if we can get the participation of all county subregional
      editors.

      In summary, I can assure birders that quality control in eBird will be
      orders of magnitude better than that in place for the Great Backyard Bird
      Count, but I recognize that there will be some recurring issues that we
      will all have to work on to improve.

      Thanks, David, for your excellent query.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett
      Ornithology Collections Manager
      900 Exposition Blvd.