Baja questions

  • vdinets
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2003
      Dear All,
      Two quick questions:
      1. We videotaped a Chihuahuan raven (with white neck feathers clearly
      visible on video) on a beach W from San Juan del Cabo. The field
      guides I have at hand don't mention it occuring in Baja. Does anyone
      know if this is an unusual sighting?
      2. I understand that this topic is more appropriate for Mexican
      Birding MB. Does anybody know how to subscribe to it?
      Thanks,
      Vladimir Dinets
      Sta. Cruz Mts.
    • Robert A. Behrstock
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2003
        Hi Vladimir,

        You may get other responses about this. I had my own opinion, but just discussed it as well with another birder who has extensive experience in Mexico.

        There isn't much of a chance of a *wild* Chihuahuan Raven at the Cape, (you said San Juan but I suspect you meant San José del Cabo). There is no mainland source of strays for quite a distance. [Note that even in Texas, where they're abundant in the lower Rio Grande Valley, they don't stray very far up the coast.]

        I suggest you look carefully at the bill shape, and, if visible, the rictal bristles and compare those with published pictures. Also, note that Common Raven can show pale gray at the base of the neck feathers, and is, of course, likely in Baja. If it still seems to be a Chihuahuan Raven, then you're stuck with the burden of proving that it's not an escaped pet.

        Thanks for posting your trip reports.

        Best,
        RAB

        Robert A. Behrstock
        Naturewide Images
        1511 Casa Buena Dr.
        Corte Madera, CA 94925
        Phone: (415) 945-9073

        1. We videotaped a Chihuahuan raven (with white neck feathers clearly
        visible on video) on a beach W from San Juan del Cabo. The field
        guides I have at hand don't mention it occuring in Baja. Does anyone
        know if this is an unusual sighting?
        2. I understand that this topic is more appropriate for Mexican
        Birding MB. Does anybody know how to subscribe to it?
        Thanks,
        Vladimir Dinets
        Sta. Cruz Mts.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor