Re: [CALBIRDS] Red-legged Kittiwake-Del Norte County

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2003
      On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 04:47:21 -0800, "Mike Feighner" <feinerVogel@...>
      wrote:

      >From what I can decipher there
      >has been only one other record in California of rejected status from Moss
      >Landing, Monterey County back in 1980:
      >
      >RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE Rissa brevirostris (1,0,1,0)
      >
      >Rejected, identification not established
      >
      >3 Nov 1980 Moss Landing MTY 13-1981-6

      There are two accepted records, both emaciated birds in February that died
      shortly after being found.

      1. 28 Feb 1996 Anaheim ORA 1996-069-22
      2. 13 Feb 2001 Ross MRN 2001-066-27

      There is an additional sight report which was not accepted:

      26 Feb 2001 ~7 nmi w. of Davenport SCZ 2001-095-27

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
      California Birding & new rarities http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2003
        Mike Feighner wrote:

        RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE in Del Norte County

        > Directions: Take 101 North over the Klamath river and turn left on
        >Requa rd. Proceed west and turn off onto Klamath mouth (or mouth Klamath?)
        >rd. and proceed down to the bottom where there is a large area with ample
        >parking. The shoal that the bird and the others was roosting on was about
        >300
        >meters across (looking south) from here. If they are there it should be
        >pretty apparent and a good scope with high power is a must. Good luck to you
        >who look for it. Hopefully it will come back for others. Take care.

        I believe there is a specimen record of RLKI from Orange County,
        of all places. Kimball Garrett, is this true?

        To see the site that Bob Fowler reports, visit the California Coastal
        Records Project. I believe the URL below should show the correct
        photo, but it may be one or two photos north or south. Click on the
        photo to get a full-sized image. (If the URL below is on two lines,
        cut-and-paste it into your browser's address field.)

        Bill Principe

        http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=7380&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0
      • Steve Rovell
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2003
          Calbirders -

          Sorry, I just hate to see people making the same mistake repeated.
          The discoverer of the Red-legged Kittiwake is ROB Fowler, not Bob
          Fowler.

          Steve Rovell

          On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 09:33 PM, Bill Principe wrote:

          > Mike Feighner wrote:
          >
          > RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE in Del Norte County
          >
          >> Directions: Take 101 North over the Klamath river and turn
          >> left on
          >> Requa rd. Proceed west and turn off onto Klamath mouth (or mouth
          >> Klamath?)
          >> rd. and proceed down to the bottom where there is a large area with
          >> ample
          >> parking. The shoal that the bird and the others was roosting on was
          >> about
          >> 300
          >> meters across (looking south) from here. If they are there it should
          >> be
          >> pretty apparent and a good scope with high power is a must. Good luck
          >> to you
          >> who look for it. Hopefully it will come back for others. Take care.
          >

          > I believe there is a specimen record of RLKI from Orange County,
          > of all places. Kimball Garrett, is this true?
          >
          > To see the site that Bob Fowler reports, visit the California
          > Coastal
          > Records Project. I believe the URL below should show the correct
          > photo, but it may be one or two photos north or south. Click on the
          > photo to get a full-sized image. (If the URL below is on two lines,
          > cut-and-paste it into your browser's address field.)
          >
          > Bill Principe
          >
          > http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/
          > image.cgi?image=7380&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0

          > email to these addresses:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Steve Rovell
          vagrant@...