Red-legged Kittiwake-Del Norte County

  • Mike Feighner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10 4:47 AM
      CALBIRDSers, NWCALBIRD:

      Forwarding the following report of a RED-LEGGED Kittiwake for Bob Fowler
      that apparently did not make it through....From what I can decipher there
      has been only one other record in California of rejected status from Moss
      Landing, Monterey County back in 1980:

      RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE Rissa brevirostris (1,0,1,0)

      Rejected, identification not established

      3 Nov 1980 Moss Landing MTY 13-1981-6

      --
      Mike Feighner, Livermore, CA, Alameda County

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10 6:49 AM
        On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 04:47:21 -0800, "Mike Feighner" <feinerVogel@...>
        wrote:

        >From what I can decipher there
        >has been only one other record in California of rejected status from Moss
        >Landing, Monterey County back in 1980:
        >
        >RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE Rissa brevirostris (1,0,1,0)
        >
        >Rejected, identification not established
        >
        >3 Nov 1980 Moss Landing MTY 13-1981-6

        There are two accepted records, both emaciated birds in February that died
        shortly after being found.

        1. 28 Feb 1996 Anaheim ORA 1996-069-22
        2. 13 Feb 2001 Ross MRN 2001-066-27

        There is an additional sight report which was not accepted:

        26 Feb 2001 ~7 nmi w. of Davenport SCZ 2001-095-27

        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...
        California Birding & new rarities http://fog.ccsf.org/~jmorlan/
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10 9:33 PM
          Mike Feighner wrote:

          RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE in Del Norte County

          > Directions: Take 101 North over the Klamath river and turn left on
          >Requa rd. Proceed west and turn off onto Klamath mouth (or mouth Klamath?)
          >rd. and proceed down to the bottom where there is a large area with ample
          >parking. The shoal that the bird and the others was roosting on was about
          >300
          >meters across (looking south) from here. If they are there it should be
          >pretty apparent and a good scope with high power is a must. Good luck to you
          >who look for it. Hopefully it will come back for others. Take care.

          I believe there is a specimen record of RLKI from Orange County,
          of all places. Kimball Garrett, is this true?

          To see the site that Bob Fowler reports, visit the California Coastal
          Records Project. I believe the URL below should show the correct
          photo, but it may be one or two photos north or south. Click on the
          photo to get a full-sized image. (If the URL below is on two lines,
          cut-and-paste it into your browser's address field.)

          Bill Principe

          http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=7380&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0
        • Steve Rovell
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11 5:53 AM
            Calbirders -

            Sorry, I just hate to see people making the same mistake repeated.
            The discoverer of the Red-legged Kittiwake is ROB Fowler, not Bob
            Fowler.

            Steve Rovell

            On Monday, March 10, 2003, at 09:33 PM, Bill Principe wrote:

            > Mike Feighner wrote:
            >
            > RED-LEGGED KITTIWAKE in Del Norte County
            >
            >> Directions: Take 101 North over the Klamath river and turn
            >> left on
            >> Requa rd. Proceed west and turn off onto Klamath mouth (or mouth
            >> Klamath?)
            >> rd. and proceed down to the bottom where there is a large area with
            >> ample
            >> parking. The shoal that the bird and the others was roosting on was
            >> about
            >> 300
            >> meters across (looking south) from here. If they are there it should
            >> be
            >> pretty apparent and a good scope with high power is a must. Good luck
            >> to you
            >> who look for it. Hopefully it will come back for others. Take care.
            >

            > I believe there is a specimen record of RLKI from Orange County,
            > of all places. Kimball Garrett, is this true?
            >
            > To see the site that Bob Fowler reports, visit the California
            > Coastal
            > Records Project. I believe the URL below should show the correct
            > photo, but it may be one or two photos north or south. Click on the
            > photo to get a full-sized image. (If the URL below is on two lines,
            > cut-and-paste it into your browser's address field.)
            >
            > Bill Principe
            >
            > http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/
            > image.cgi?image=7380&mode=big&lastmode=sequential&flags=0

            > email to these addresses:

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            Steve Rovell
            vagrant@...