Back from Baja

  • vdinets
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2003
      Dear All,
      We are back from 8-day driving trip from Sta Cruz to Cabo San Lucas &
      back. We didn't have time to visit any islands, but saw all endemic
      birds and mammals of the mainland, plus some endemic reptiles and the
      endemic trout. Highlights of the trip were an hour spent playing with
      a baby gray whale (at Laguna San Ignacio, which also proved to be a
      better site for Vizcaino thrasher than the well-known one near
      Guerrero Negro), and seeing a distant pod of vaquitas from a beach N
      from San Felipe. We also found road access to higher elevations of
      Sierra de La Laguna.
      I'll send more detailed info upon request, and will also post a Baja
      page on my website http://hotcity.com/~vladimir in 2-3 weeks.
      The desert was blooming in most places, including spectacular blooms
      in Southern San Joaquin Valley. For the first time in my life, I
      succeeded in spotting a Le Conte's thrasher from a freeway (I-5 N
      from Taft exit). I strongly recommend visiting Carrizo Plain this
      year!
      Vladimir Dinets
      Sta. Cruz Mts.