Eurasian Wigeon Migration Time - Observations Requested

  • Michael G. Shepard
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2003
      Greetings,

      Again this spring, I'm going to be mapping on a weekly basis the locations
      of Eurasian Wigeon.

      In California some birds may already be on the move. Judging from last
      year's data, most individuals should be gone by the end of March. It looks
      like some of the birds head to the northeast through eastern Oregon, Idaho
      and Montana, much like Snow and Ross's Geese do, while others take a coastal
      route. The west coast movement is nearly impossible to monitor as there are
      so many wintering birds. The high count so far this year is 115 birds in
      Delta BC, observed February 21 by Jukka Jantunen. Last year's maps are
      posted at www.birdinfo.com/EurasianWigeon_MAP.html

      As I unfortunately don't have time to monitor all the North American birding
      newsgroups, I would very much appreciate if observers sent any and all their
      Eurasian Wigeon sightings to me at data@....

      Thank you very much.

      Michael G. Shepard
      Victoria BC