Monterey Seabirds

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 3, 2003
      There are still plenty of spaces for left for this Sunday's Monterey
      Seabirds trip. There are still good numbers of Ancient Murrelets and
      other interesting alcids in the bay. Gray Whales are still in migration
      and there have been a number of recent Killer Whale sightings too. There
      is still a good chance for Laysan Albatross at this time. Call
      831.375-4658 or go to http://www.montereyseabirds.com to sign up. The
      Creagrus himself, Don Roberson, will have some quality help leading this
      trip.

      Other rarities and birds of interest in the Monterey Bay area at this time:

      Santa Cruz area:

      Least Flycatcher at Natural Bridges State Park across Delaware Ave from
      Antonelli Pond

      Red-naped Sapsucker- follow sign to natural area behind apartments at
      the end of Felix St. off Laurel St.

      Monterey area:

      Zone-tailed Hawk-very elusive, seen mostly from the W side of Carmel
      Middle School just W of the intersection of Highway 1 and Carmel Valley Rd.

      California Condors-released birds- at the 40 mile marker on Highway 1
      south of Big Sur. Use the pullout and look up.

      Williamson's Sapsucker- Del Monte forest off Highway 68

      Black-throated Green Warbler in Laguna Grande park in Seaside.Near the
      footbridge behind the Russian Orthodox church.

      Cheers,
      Roger Wolfe
      Monterey Bay
    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2003
        Monterey Seabirds 3/9/03

        The weather service forecasted rain but what do they know?. We enjoyed a
        beautiful sunny day on the water with calm seas. No one on board ever
        looked the least bit green.

        Going out on a pelagic seabirding trip once a month is quite interesting
        in that you can witness the changes in avifauna that occurs in a four
        week period. Our trips are scheduled for the most part for the second
        Sunday of every month. Whereas last month we saw no Black-footed
        Albatross this trip had around 60!

        The trip highlight was a MANX SHEARWATER in a group of BLACK-VENTED
        SHEARWATERS spotted sitting on the water initially by our skipper
        Richard Ternullo.The bird took flight before he could get on the PA and
        leader Don Roberson caught sight of it from the bow and got others on
        the bird as it was flying away.

        Several wintering PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS were seen on the day and a
        distant SOOTY and a SHORT-TAILED made for 5 species of sheawaters for
        the day. Not bad for March!

        The pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS wintering in the harbor were found thanks to
        the sharp eyes of local bird guide Rick Fournier who spotted them on the
        rip rap at the back of the harbor. Richard skillfully manuevered the 70'
        Sea Wolf II into a place where all on board could see the pair.

        2 BRANT were seen on the little pocket beach near the radio tower on
        Cannery Row. In this same area we also found a few PIGEON GUILLEMOTS

        A notable change from last month was with alcids, CASSIN'S AUKLET and
        COMMON MURRE numbers were small compared to what we saw last month.
        RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were seen in nearly all plumage variations and still
        in good numbers.

        The GRAY WHALES are now all on their northbound migration as opposed to
        last month when we spotted the first north migrating pair. About 25
        miles offshore we were somewhat surprised to find the first HUMPBACK
        WHALE of the season. A curiously small and solitary one.

        A good deal of excitement was generated by a Gull that we initially
        thought was a GLAUCOUS but after some study was deemed a hybrid with
        some GLAUCOUS-WINGED characterstics that leader Dan Singer pointed out.
        We had several very cooperative BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES.

        Late in the day a dark POMARINE JAEGER was called out by apprentice
        leader Ryan DiGaudio.

        Back in the harbor as the boat was tied up a RED-NECKED GREBE was
        spotted providing one last tick for some of our participants.

        We had only 16 participants on board which was below the minimum. Whale
        watching tourists would have provided 55 just for the morning and a
        second boatload in the afternnoon and a nice profit. We need to see more
        support from the birding community on these trips!

        Our next trip is on April 13, cost is $70 per person. Pterodroma Todd
        Easterla will be leading. Conditions permitting we will bird both Santa
        Cruz and Monterey county waters.

        http://www.montereyseabirds.com

        See you on the water,
        Roger Wolfe
        Monterey Bay
      • Roger Wolfe
        Message 3 of 12 , May 13, 2003
          Our Mother's Day seabird trip was downsized. A small number of
          participants(14) resulted in us taking out the ol' Point Sur Clipper
          instead of the larger Sea Wolf II. Admittedly we've grown spoiled with
          the larger, more spacious boat. You'd think some of us would wax
          nostalgic in going out on the Clipper which is the boat many of us
          pelagiphiles cut our teeth on but I did hear some moaning. It was
          preferable by far to not going out at all(although I think my mom would
          have preferred we canceled).

          I had entertained some serious fantasy seabirds in that we'd had a few
          days of good onshore winds after a long period of having none at all.
          Our skipper Richard Ternullo's sighting of a Dark-rumped (presumably
          Hawaiian) Petrel the week before(photos at
          http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2003.html ) added fuel to the fire
          of my hopes of finding some outrageous pelagic vagrant but alas such was
          not the case. But hey, you got to keep at it to see the truly good
          pelagic birds right?

          It has been really interesting seabirding on a monthly basis and
          witnessing the changes. I've always been big on patch birding and the
          Monterey sea canyon is on helluva patch to work.

          When Big Sur Ornithology Lab interns Robin Honywell and Jessica Griffith
          showed up as volunteer chummers they said they were hoping to see an
          albatross and they weren't disappointed as we had 80 BLACK-FOOTED
          ALBATROSS for the day with as many as 15 at the stern at one time.

          SOOTY SHEARWATERS numbers were way up from last month's trip with birds
          visible almost continuously during our trip. PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS
          were also numerous (80) with many showing signs of molt.

          4 NORTHERN FULMARS, and 5 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were spring holdouts.
          Migrant gulls and terns were sparse with only a few BONPARTE'S and a
          single SABINE'S GULL. I have this theory that if there is a Brit on
          board and a Sabine's Gull in the vicinity that they will find it. Such
          was the case this time.

          We had several flocks of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES including a particularly
          large one at an area of convergent water but only a smattering of
          beautiful alternate plumaged RED PHALAROPES.

          HUMPBACK WHALES have returned and they were seen feeding off of Ft. Ord.
          Our only other cetacean being widely scattered PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED
          DOLPHINS.

          It was a good group on board. Special thanks to our regulars for their
          support and our leaders Don Roberson and Dan Singer. Our next trip is
          scheduled for June 8, hope you can make it. 831 375-4658
          http://www.montereyseabirds.com

          Cheers,
          Roger Wolfe
          Soquel
        • Roger Wolfe
          Message 4 of 12 , May 31, 2003
            Monterey Seabirds will feature two consecutive days of pelagic birding
            this Sept. 21 and 22. The first trip will be a 12 hour outing to the
            Albacore Grounds and the subsequent trip will focus on the Monterey
            Seavalley and the storm-petrel flocks. Costs are $110 and $70
            respectively. Details are at
            http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdWeekend.htm

            Hope to see you on the water,
            Roger Wolfe
            Monterey Bay
          • Roger Wolfe
            Message 5 of 12 , May 14, 2005
              There are a few spaces still available for tomorrow's Monterey Seabirds
              outing. We will make an effort to relocate the YELLOW-BILLED LOON that
              has been present all week off Otter Point. Killer Whales have been seen
              6 out of the last 7 days so there is an excellent chance of seeing them
              as well. Cost is $80 per person. 831-375-4658
              http://www.montereyseabirds.com

              Cheers,
              Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
              Soquel Canyon, CA
            • Roger Wolfe
              Message 6 of 12 , Aug 17, 2006
                A trip report with photos by Jeff Poklen for the Monterey Seabirds
                voyage to Sur Ridge on Aug. 13 is online at
                http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdTripReport060813.htm

                Cheers,
                Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                Soquel Canyon, CA
              • John Sterling
                Message 7 of 12 , Aug 13, 2014
                  Just a follow up to my earlier announcement about pelagic trips with Monterey Seabirds for this fall.  Our August 24th trip is fully booked, but we do have spaces on our September 7 (half day), 21, 28, October 5 and 12th, and November 7 (half day) trips.

                  As usual, we have great leaders including the incomparable Todd Easterla, and the best boat captain of all, Richard Ternullo--a trained biologist and seasoned captain for many decades.  We are the friendliest boat in the Monterey area, no stress, no yelling, no problems.

                  As others have mentioned, this is already a very interesting fall for pelagic seabirds and is the best opportunity to see Craveri's Murrelets in many, many years off Monterey.  With Alvaro's recent sighting of the Salvin's Albatross off San Mateo, who knows what else is out there.

                  We at Monterey Seabirds are proud to partner with Alvaro Jaramillo's "Alvaro's Adventures", and there is an opportunity to go on our boat on his chartered trip and our regular trip on back-to-back days--Oct 11 & 12.  The more time you spend on the water, the more likely you'll be on the boat when a mega rarity shows up.  Also everyday on the water is different!

                  Reservations are required. Reservations can be made using our online reservation form or by calling (831) 375-4658 with a credit card number to hold your spot. Go to Whale Watch Trip Information Page for further details (trip preparation, directions, etc.). For the Seabird trips we have a 2-week cancellation policy.

                  John Sterling
                  VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                  26 Palm Ave
                  Woodland, CA 95695
                  530 908-3836
                  jsterling@...
                  www.sterlingbirds.com

                • DEBRA SHEARWATER
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 28, 2015
                    Howdy, CalBirders,

                    Monterey's seabirds are really putting on a show this week. Upwards of 2000 SABINE'S GULLS, 90,000 Sooty Shearwaters, and more have been seen from shore. I've been asked by a number of photographers about the Shearwater Journeys' trip this Friday, July 31. Spaces are available. Seems like this could be a good opportunity to photograph these masses of seabirds, although video might be best. Such a large migrating flock of Sabine's Gulls is very rarely recorded, although I once saw 3000+ at the Cordell Bank, Bodega Bay.

                    See the most recent Point Pinos eBird report: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S24410856

                    Leaders on the July 31 Monterey trip include: Steve Howell, Scott Terrill, Brian Sullivan, Nick Levendosky, Jennifer Green, David Pavlik, and Debi Shearwater.

                    View the leader line up for all of our upcoming trips at:

                    Shearwater Journeys' has some 26 pelagic trips on offer this fall season with departures from Monterey Bay, Half Moon Bay, Bodega Bay and Sausalito to the Farallon Islands. A few trips are sold out, but spaces are available on many others. The complete trip schedule  is here:

                    There is only one Albacore trip, September 12,  which departs from Monterey:

                    Certainly looking like a very interesting year — but, aren't they all — one way or another! Help us kick off our 40th year of Monterey seabird trips this week!

                    Shearwaters Forever,
                    Debi Shearwater

                    DEBRA SHEARWATER
                    Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
                    PO Box 190
                    Hollister, CA 95024
                    831.637.8527

                    Celebrating 40 Years of Seabirding with Shearwater Journeys