Re: [CALBIRDS] Cape May Warbler in Sacramento

  • jennifer rycenga
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003
      I was elated to see the Cape May Warbler this morning, along with Dennis and
      Pat and other observers. Its presence here so early in the season, though,
      prompts me to ask a few questions.

      Is this bird likely a migrant, or an individual that over-wintered? Having
      read the species account in the Dunn and Garrett _Warblers_ book, it seems
      like March 1st would be an early date even for its regular migration route
      through Florida. Given that the location seemed to be a rather unassuming
      suburban recreation park (taking up only the space of about six houses), is
      it possible that this individual could have escaped detection until very
      late in the season?

      It also seems, from the species account in the book, that the difference
      between fall and spring plumages for this species are not as dramatic as for
      many warblers. While the chestnut color was a bit less striking than I
      thought it would be (this was a life-sighting for me), the bird's markings
      were bold and clear. If the bird is a migrant, would it be in a worn-fall
      plumage (in which cases, it wears it quite well!), or spring mating plumage?

      I am asking, truly, from ignorance that wishes enlightenment, to open the
      double mysteries of warbler migration and California vagrancy within warbler
      migration!

      Jennifer Rycenga
      Berkeley, California
      gyrrlfalcon@...