Cape May Warbler in Sacramento

  • Dennis Braddy
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003
      Calbirders,

      From 7:30-8:30 this morning a feisty adult male CAPE MAY WARBLER kept the
      sunny side of his favored tree in Sacramento's Larchmont Park free of pests
      like goldfinches, bushtits, and Yellow-rumped Warblers. The warbler remains
      where it was found yesterday by Jeri Langham in the southeast corner of the
      park in a tree (not the birch, the budding non-birch next to it) adjacent to
      a second story apartment balcony decorated with colored balls.

      Directions: Take the Watt Avenue exit from Hwy. 50 and go north. Take the
      first right onto La Riviera Drive. Continue several blocks, then turn left
      onto Linda Rio Drive and continue to the park.

      Dennis and Patricia Braddy
      San Ramon
    • jennifer rycenga
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2003
        I was elated to see the Cape May Warbler this morning, along with Dennis and
        Pat and other observers. Its presence here so early in the season, though,
        prompts me to ask a few questions.

        Is this bird likely a migrant, or an individual that over-wintered? Having
        read the species account in the Dunn and Garrett _Warblers_ book, it seems
        like March 1st would be an early date even for its regular migration route
        through Florida. Given that the location seemed to be a rather unassuming
        suburban recreation park (taking up only the space of about six houses), is
        it possible that this individual could have escaped detection until very
        late in the season?

        It also seems, from the species account in the book, that the difference
        between fall and spring plumages for this species are not as dramatic as for
        many warblers. While the chestnut color was a bit less striking than I
        thought it would be (this was a life-sighting for me), the bird's markings
        were bold and clear. If the bird is a migrant, would it be in a worn-fall
        plumage (in which cases, it wears it quite well!), or spring mating plumage?

        I am asking, truly, from ignorance that wishes enlightenment, to open the
        double mysteries of warbler migration and California vagrancy within warbler
        migration!

        Jennifer Rycenga
        Berkeley, California
        gyrrlfalcon@...