RFI: San Fran / Monterey area rarities

  • Steve Barlow
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17 6:05 PM
      Hi Birders,

      I am going to be in the San Fransisco Bay / Monterey area next
      weekend and, since I'm farily familiar with the "normal" birds of the
      area, will be interested in chasing some of the recent rarities in
      the area (I used to live in So Cal so have some interest in my CA
      list), as well as having a short boat trip out of monterey (thanks to
      those who sent advice on that). So I'll be grateful for any info
      anyone can email me before my trip on rare-ish birds for CA present
      in this area right now. In particular, I've looked at Monterey Bay
      and No Cal birdboxes online and not seen any very recent mentions of
      the:
      Santa Cruz Nutting's Fly
      Half Moon Bay Brown Booby
      Half Moon Bay Sedge Wren
      ? Rusty Blackbird
      Does anyone know of any recent sigtings of these birds? Help with
      directions to any of these birds would also be much appreciated!

      Thanks very much in advance
      Steve
      Dr Stephen Barlow
      Department of Chemistry
      University of Arizona
      1306 E. University Blvd., Box 210041
      Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
      Phone: 520 626 1317
      Fax: 520 621 8407
      email: sbarlow@...
    • Mary Wisnewski
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17 8:40 PM
        Rusty Blackbird would be in Santa Clara or Sunnyvale, in Santa Clara
        County. It has been reported within the past week in the parking lot of the
        Albertson's at El Camino and Lawrence Expressway. The report was from
        Cindie Illes, who saw the bird on Thursday 2/13 at 10:30 AM, and reported it
        to South Bay Birds. The location it's right on the border between the two
        cities, so the reports have been mixed as to which city it is in... as far
        as I can tell, that shopping center is in Santa Clara. See map (which
        pinpoints the location of the blockbuster/starbucks building where the bird
        is often seen)

        <http://mapsonus.switchboard.com/bin/maps-maponly/usr=~3e519a17.39979.7e1.6/
        c=1/refsrc=SB.newsb/isredir=1/>

        -mary wisnewski

[...]