Modoc county highlights

  • maholyoak <maholyoak@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 15, 2003
      Today in Modoc Cty I saw 2 BOHEMIAN WAXWING. The location was on Hwy
      299 east of Alturas, at 7 miles E of the junction of California
      highways 299 and 395 (this is also 1.2 miles east of the junction of
      Hwy 299 and county rd 58. The exact spot is just east of a sign
      facing the westbound direction on Hwy 299 warning of a a "stop" in 7
      miles at Hwy 395. At this point there is a stream south of the
      highway and scattered deciduous trees and thickets of streamside
      willows. Flocks of American Robin were flying in from the north to
      bath/drink in the stream. At about 3:30pm I located 2 Bohemian
      Waxwings in the tops of the deciduous trees and viewed them through
      both 10x binoculars and a Nikon Fieldscope at about 100m away in good
      light. A Townsend's Solitaire was also in the area. All of these
      birds (including the waxwings) flew off to the north and other robin
      flocks continued to arrive. I do not know whether the waxwings are
      coming to this spot regularly.

      At Modoc National Wildlife Refuge just south of Alturas a NORTHERN
      SHRIKE was still present on county road 115 near the refuge
      headquarters. An adult TRUMPETER SWAN was also on ponds along this
      stretch of road near the turnoff for the headquarters. A second adult
      Trumpeter Swan and an immature were by Hwy 395 c. 2 miles south of
      the wildlife viewing area just S of Alturas.

      In the far NE corner of the state I searched the Surprise Valley
      fairly thoroughly from Cedarville up to a few miles N of Fort
      Bidwell. Needless to say I was looking here (unsuccessfully) for
      Bohemian Waxwings. Highlights included 7 Bald Eagle, 3 Golden Eagle,
      4 Rough-legged Hawk, 3 Ferruginous Hawk, 3 Prairie Falcon, 1 Cooper's
      Hawk, 12 Red-tailed Hawk and a pair of Mountain Bluebird.

      Good birding,

      Marcel Holyoak,
      Davis, Ca.
      maholyoak@...