Nutting's Flycatcher identification

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2003
      As many of you are aware, an interesting Myiarchus flycatcher has been
      in Santa Cruz, central California, since 1 January, and was identified
      by several of us as a Nutting's Flycatcher on 3 January. The bird is
      still present, and has since been observed by hundreds. Many have agreed
      it is a Nutting's, but not all, and reviewers of posted photographs have
      had mixed opinions. One very recent caller to a local BirdBox declared
      it was an Ash-throated, and stated the bird needed "critical review."

      For several weeks I have been preparing a series of page about this
      bird. The basic methodology has been to review the published literature,
      as well as the chat line files on the Arizona and Orange Co., southern
      California, Nutting's, and then compare photographs of the Santa Cruz
      bird next to photos of the Nutting's from Arizona and/or s. California.
      The pages also contain many caveats about photographic review. This
      project has grown to an introduction and six linked pages, now ready for
      your consideration at
      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/nuttingfly-id.html

      I have attempted to simply present evidence in the introductory and the
      five primary linked pages on specific topics, reserving my own opinion
      for the final page of the set. This has probably not been entirely
      successful, but I recommend that you review all the primary pages first
      and develop your own opinion before considering mine.

      These pages are both wordy and photo-intensive, and therefore will be
      slow to download on a dial-up modem. Even if you can download quickly,
      there is a lot of material to consider. I suggest you make a cup of tea
      or pour a glass of wine, and consider the evidence at your leisure.

      The project could not have been possible without the assistance of
      numerous photographers and field observers, who generously provided
      photographic or written evidence. They are mentioned several places on
      these pages, and I am very grateful for their help. As always, comments
      and corrections are welcome. [I also apologize for the annoyance caused
      by cross-posting.]

      Don Roberson
      Pacific Grove, CA