Breeding Bird Survey route up for grabs

  • Guy Tingos
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2003
      I apologize for the cross posting. After 15+ years of running the Ventucopa Breeding Bird Survey Route, I'm ready to pass it along. The route starts in Santa Barbara Canyon (SB County), follows Routes 33 (Ventura County) and 166 (Kern County), then goes up Cerro Noroeste. It's a 25 mile route with 50, 3-minute stops for counting birds that is run according to USFWS rules. Mid-May to early June are the best times to run it. The count starts around 5:40am; I camp out the night before. Birds regularly seen/heard include Poorwill, Lesser Nighthawk, Mountain Quail, Scott's Oriole, Lawrence's Goldfinch, and Golden Eagle. A 4-wheel drive vehicle is handy since the route crosses the soft sand of the the Cuyama River. Please contact me directly if you have any questions or interest. Thanks, Guy

      Guy Tingos
      Santa Barbara, CA
      guy.tingos@...
      (805) 681-0026