Re: [CALBIRDS] possible black rail in Orange County

  • Charles Bragg
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
      At 10:42 AM 2/4/2003 -0500, mjbbirds@... wrote:

      >We consider ourselves
      >extremely lucky to have been at the right place at the right time, but would
      >like to know if anyone else has made observations, documented or not, at this
      >location or at UNB in general, of black rails here during the last decades.

      I was taking Arnold Small's UCLA course in 1977, I think, and we went to UNB. A black rail ran across the road and was seen by about half the class. Talk about beginner's luck! It was a lifer for most of us, of course, and also for some of Arnold's assistants. The date is uncertain, because I didn't start a life list for some time thereafter. I put 12/31/77 in my list, but that is probably not the exact date.
      I haven't seen one since.

      ========
      Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
      Membership Chair
      Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society:
      http://smbas.cjb.net
      ========
    • Dameron, Wanda
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
        Recall a few sightings in the early 80's when was just starting birding,
        but didn't have that luck! Had to go to Palo Alto Baylands for lifer!
        Cheers, Wanda Dameron

        --
        Wanda Dameron
        LAAS, SBC, Southwest Bird Study Club