squirrels do eat birds

  • mjbbirds@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2003
      We in Southern Ca have been invaded by eastern fox squirrels, who are very
      "cute" and get a lot of misguided sympathy from the public. They were likely
      imported by parks, mortuaries, etc. to enhance the "feel" of their
      facilities. It may also be that uninformed animal control services collected
      injured individuals and released them in new "suitable" locations,
      promulgating their dispersal.
      I am almost certain that they killed the nestling red-breasted nuthatches
      that were the first known hatched individuals from my South-LA-County area in
      over 20 years, but had no "proof". Last week, Tom Underhill, a photographer
      with the Peninsula News in Palos Verdes, was doing a shoot with me at Ken
      Malloy/Harbor Regional Park, when we spied one of the rascals eating a bird.
      Got a photo! Since I can't post it to Calbirds, I would be happy to send it
      to anyone who requires photographic evidence that those adorable little
      beasts are avi-phagic.
      By the way, somewhat ironically, you may be able to tell that the bird being
      consumed is a starling. However, I don't think they pose any threat to THAT
      population, unfortunately...and I wouldn't emphasize that particular aspect
      when discussing the devastating ecological impact of non-native fox squirrels.
      Martin Byhower