Blue phase Ross' Goose

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi all,

      Following the discussion of the dark phase of the Ross' Goose on
      ID-Frontiers last week, I've posted a photo of one in the Calbirds photo
      album under waterfowl. See what you think of this bird.

      lack+Ross%27+Goose.jpg&.src=gr

      Ron LeValley
      ron@...
      707/839-0900
      Fax 707/839-0867
      www.madriverbio.com
      Mad River Biologists
      1497 Central Avenue
      McKinleyville, CA 95519
    • Bruce Deuel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
        Hi Ron and all,
        It's pretty far away, but I see no features that make me think this is not a "pure" blue-morph Ross's Goose. Notice the head and bill shape compared to the white-morph Ross's that is closer to the camera and about even with the blue bird's tail. It appears the black feathering extends from the nape up onto the crown, as expected, as well.
        Cheers,
        Bruce Deuel
        Redding