Salton Sea rarities (2/1/03)

  • Bob Dunn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      I birded around the Salton Sea this past weekend chasing rarities. I was
      able to relocate the following:

      The Bronzed Cowbirds are still in La Quinta in Riverside County in the
      parking lot at the NW corner of Washinton St. and Hwy 111.

      Imperial County:

      The Le Conte's Sparrow is still in the field along International Ave. in
      east Niland. The same location it has been in since late December.

      The Chestnut-C. Longspurs (1st field) and 2 Sprague's Pipits (2nd field)
      are still in the fields east of the State prison along Peterson Rd in NE
      Calipatria.

      The Ruddy Ground-doves are still present at the residence at the NW
      corner of Sperry and Eddins in SW Calipatria.

      The Lewis's Woodpeckers are still along the south side of Eddins at
      Brandt Ave, also in SW Calipatria.

      The Zone-tailed Hawk continues at Cattle Call Park in Brawley.

      Better directions to all these birds can be found at the following site:
      www.virtualbirder.com/vbirder/realbirds/rbas/CA.html
      Then scholl down and click on the transcripts of the San Bernardino Valley
      Audubon Society.

      Good birding,
      Bob Dunn
      San Leandro

    • Ron LeValley
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
        Hi all,

        Following the discussion of the dark phase of the Ross' Goose on
        ID-Frontiers last week, I've posted a photo of one in the Calbirds photo
        album under waterfowl. See what you think of this bird.

        lack+Ross%27+Goose.jpg&.src=gr

        Ron LeValley
        ron@...
        707/839-0900
        Fax 707/839-0867
        www.madriverbio.com
        Mad River Biologists
        1497 Central Avenue
        McKinleyville, CA 95519
      • Bruce Deuel
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
          Hi Ron and all,
          It's pretty far away, but I see no features that make me think this is not a "pure" blue-morph Ross's Goose. Notice the head and bill shape compared to the white-morph Ross's that is closer to the camera and about even with the blue bird's tail. It appears the black feathering extends from the nape up onto the crown, as expected, as well.
          Cheers,
          Bruce Deuel
          Redding