Great Gray Owl

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Hi all,
      I just received a transcript of some raptor survey results from the Klamath National Forest. Most interesting was that a Great Gray Owl was photographed near Ft. Jones in the Scott Valley, Siskiyou Co., on or about January 8, 2003.

      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Redding
    • Matt Williams
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
        Bruce, for what it is worth since this information is very dated, at
        4:00 PM on December 29th my wife and I were driving south on US route 97
        approximately 6 miles south of the intersection of the Klamath Forest
        National Wildlife Refuge road, and approximately 6 miles north of
        Chiloquin, Oregon. On the west side of the highway a Great Gray Owl
        swooped down into a snow drift grabbed whatever it was hunting and took
        off to the west back into the pine forest, looking every bit like an
        N.C. Wyeth illustration of Long John Silver striding off with broad
        shoulders covered by a grey-black cape that flared outward toward the
        ground. An image that will be with us forever, totally unexpected and
        truly treasured.

        We called in the sighting to the Klamath Audubon Rare Bird Alert line
        when we reached our hotel in Klamath Falls, but never heard any
        follow-up on it. If there is anything we should do further, let us know
        and we'll be glad to do so.

        Matt Williams
        El Macero (Davis), CA