Laughing Gull, Ft. Bragg

  • les_lieurance <skuaaaa@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2003
      Today, Cindy refound the Laughing Gull in Ft. Bragg at the mouth of
      Pudding Creek about 9am. (Video still in Gull photo folder here on
      CalBirds.) It spent time preening on the old wooden trestle bridge
      with other gulls. Several times it flew down to the creek to bathe. A
      great overlook for Pudding Creek and level viewing of the bridge is
      the north end of Glass Beach Drive. We tried looking for the gull at
      Cleone Lake and adjacent beaches about 7 am with no luck.

      As we were enjoying close looks at the gull, 48 Aleutian Canada Geese
      flew close overhead going north.

      Glass Beach in Ft. Bragg is undergoing lead removal and construction
      so access is through the field to the north of the parking area and
      then down the beach. We didn't venture too far south due to the
      warning signs and didn't see any Harlequin Ducks.

      At Laguna Point in MacKerricher State Park there were at least 3 Rock
      Sandpipers associating with Black Turnstones and Surfbirds. Two White-
      winged Scoters flew by Laguna Point.

      We saw three Gray Jays at Van Damme State Park close to the visitor's
      center. Russian Gulch picnic area overlooking the ocean is a
      delightful spot for lunch. And we heartly recommend the refurbishing
      Surf Motel ($$) for lodging and Mendo Bistro ($$$) for dinner, both
      in Ft. Bragg.

      Les & Cindy Lieurance
      San Francisco
      les@...