Monterey Seabirds

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
      There are still spaces available for our Sun. Feb. 9 seabirding trip.
      Don Roberson and Stephen F. Bailey will be our leaders. Cost is $70 per
      person and if you come on 3 trips your 4th is free. It would be helpful
      if you could make reservations by this Sun. This year there are a good
      number of Ancient Murrelets in the bay and atypically Marbled Murrlets
      are being seen in the Monterey area. Harlequin Ducks are frequenting the
      harbor as well. Last Jan. there was a Horned Puffin sighted. In 2001 a
      Greater Shearwater and last month a Manx Shearwater was reported on a
      whale watch excursion. There is a good chance for Laysan Albatross at
      this time of year. Register online at http://www.montereyseabirds.com or
      call 375-4658.

      Rarities being seen in the Monterey Bay area currently:

      Santa Cruz county:

      Nutting's Flycatcher -1425 and 1433 Laurel St.

      Least Flycatcher- Moore Creek across Delaware Ave. from Antonelli Pond

      Red-naped Sapsucker - end of Felix St. off Laurel St. follow sign to
      natural area behind Cypress Apts. look in willows in lawn area upstream.

      Tufted Duck-exit on Buena Vista off Highway 1 near Watsonville proceed W
      and turn L on Harkins Slough Rd. Scope the NE part of slough from above
      the abandoned house on the L across from the landfill.

      Monterey County:

      Black-throated Green Warbler - Laguna Grande Park behind the Russian
      Orthodox church near the footbridge

      Summer Tanager- same location listed above

      Williamson's Sapsucker Del Monte forest off Highway 68

      Hope to see you out on the bay,
      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
      Monterey Bay
    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2003
        When I realized we had a trip scheduled for the weekend of the AT&T
        Pro Am Golf Championship my heart sank. There is typically a phenomenon
        that as a kid growing up in the area we referred to as "Crosby weather".
        The former name of the tournament as in Bing Crosby. Invariably the
        weather would turn foul for the tourney, in '62 there was even a blizzard!

        Ah but my worries were all for naught. On Sunday's seabirding trip
        conditions were about as nice as you could hope for and the Pacific
        lived up to its name. We hosted an experienced group of hardy
        seabirders, many up from southern CA and several armed with long lenses.

        Inside the harbor we enjoyed close up views of a wintering pair of
        HARLEQUIN DUCKS. We were close enough to hear the male's high squeaky
        call. On the coast guard jetty we spotted 2 SURFBIRDS and 6 BLACK
        TURNSTONES.

        Before we even got to Cannery Row we spotted a RED-NECKED GREBE and out
        first of 10 ANCIENT MURRELETS. Our skipper Richard maneuvered the boat
        into favorable light for the photographers on board and we spent a fair
        amount of time trying to get some shots in during the bird's brief time
        on the surface. In this same area we began seeing PACIFIC LOONS and
        PELAGIC CORMORANTS.

        We headed out into the bay where we could see a lot of bird activity. En
        route Richard pointed out a POMARINE JAEGER. We came upon good numbers
        of alcids; RHINOCEROS and CASSIN'S AUKLETS, COMMON MURRES along with a
        sizable flock of BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS both in flight and on the
        water. Here we also had our first NORTHERN FULMAR.

        Our route headed south past the galleries at Pebble Beach which we could
        see, past Carmel Bay to Soberanes Rocks. A report of Killer Whales came
        in on the radio from this area but the only sign we saw of them were the
        two GRAY WHALES we saw heading north instead of south. Here we also
        came across the marine mammal of the day. A NORTHERN FUR SEAL was caught
        napping in its distinctive way.

        From Soberanes Rock we turned back toward deeper water and a fishing
        vessel we saw in the distance. A single dark shearwater sp. landed on
        the water and we motored over to check it out. It was very obliging,
        allowing us to get fairly close and get some photos. There was some
        spirited discussion on this bird. Leaders Don Roberson and Steve Bailey
        declared it a SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER. Another sooty type shearwater
        sp. seen later in the day went unidentified.

        THAYER'S GULL was called from the stern and came right up to the boat
        in pursuit of popcorn. All on board were able to get photos of this
        juvenal plumaged bird and and a thorough going over of the
        characteristics to look for. Later in the day we did the same with an
        adult THGU. BLACK-LEGGED KITTWAKES put in several appearances, 15 were
        seen on the day.

        We headed back toward the harbor down the middle of the bay. Along the
        way CASSIN'S and RHINO AUKLETS were abundant. Estimated numbers were
        for 3,000 CAAU and 1,500 RHAU!

        Near shore we cruised the beach and were rewarded with our bird of the
        day a MARBLED MURRELET which is rarely seen on the Monterey side of the
        bay.

        Our next trip is on March 9. Hope to see you then.
        http://www.montereyseabirds.com

        Roger Wolfe
        Monterey Bay, CA
      • Roger Wolfe
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
          There are still plenty of spaces for left for this Sunday's Monterey
          Seabirds trip. There are still good numbers of Ancient Murrelets and
          other interesting alcids in the bay. Gray Whales are still in migration
          and there have been a number of recent Killer Whale sightings too. There
          is still a good chance for Laysan Albatross at this time. Call
          831.375-4658 or go to http://www.montereyseabirds.com to sign up. The
          Creagrus himself, Don Roberson, will have some quality help leading this
          trip.

          Other rarities and birds of interest in the Monterey Bay area at this time:

          Santa Cruz area:

          Least Flycatcher at Natural Bridges State Park across Delaware Ave from
          Antonelli Pond

          Red-naped Sapsucker- follow sign to natural area behind apartments at
          the end of Felix St. off Laurel St.

          Monterey area:

          Zone-tailed Hawk-very elusive, seen mostly from the W side of Carmel
          Middle School just W of the intersection of Highway 1 and Carmel Valley Rd.

          California Condors-released birds- at the 40 mile marker on Highway 1
          south of Big Sur. Use the pullout and look up.

          Williamson's Sapsucker- Del Monte forest off Highway 68

          Black-throated Green Warbler in Laguna Grande park in Seaside.Near the
          footbridge behind the Russian Orthodox church.

          Cheers,
          Roger Wolfe
          Monterey Bay
        • Roger Wolfe
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
            Monterey Seabirds 3/9/03

            The weather service forecasted rain but what do they know?. We enjoyed a
            beautiful sunny day on the water with calm seas. No one on board ever
            looked the least bit green.

            Going out on a pelagic seabirding trip once a month is quite interesting
            in that you can witness the changes in avifauna that occurs in a four
            week period. Our trips are scheduled for the most part for the second
            Sunday of every month. Whereas last month we saw no Black-footed
            Albatross this trip had around 60!

            The trip highlight was a MANX SHEARWATER in a group of BLACK-VENTED
            SHEARWATERS spotted sitting on the water initially by our skipper
            Richard Ternullo.The bird took flight before he could get on the PA and
            leader Don Roberson caught sight of it from the bow and got others on
            the bird as it was flying away.

            Several wintering PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS were seen on the day and a
            distant SOOTY and a SHORT-TAILED made for 5 species of sheawaters for
            the day. Not bad for March!

            The pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS wintering in the harbor were found thanks to
            the sharp eyes of local bird guide Rick Fournier who spotted them on the
            rip rap at the back of the harbor. Richard skillfully manuevered the 70'
            Sea Wolf II into a place where all on board could see the pair.

            2 BRANT were seen on the little pocket beach near the radio tower on
            Cannery Row. In this same area we also found a few PIGEON GUILLEMOTS

            A notable change from last month was with alcids, CASSIN'S AUKLET and
            COMMON MURRE numbers were small compared to what we saw last month.
            RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were seen in nearly all plumage variations and still
            in good numbers.

            The GRAY WHALES are now all on their northbound migration as opposed to
            last month when we spotted the first north migrating pair. About 25
            miles offshore we were somewhat surprised to find the first HUMPBACK
            WHALE of the season. A curiously small and solitary one.

            A good deal of excitement was generated by a Gull that we initially
            thought was a GLAUCOUS but after some study was deemed a hybrid with
            some GLAUCOUS-WINGED characterstics that leader Dan Singer pointed out.
            We had several very cooperative BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES.

            Late in the day a dark POMARINE JAEGER was called out by apprentice
            leader Ryan DiGaudio.

            Back in the harbor as the boat was tied up a RED-NECKED GREBE was
            spotted providing one last tick for some of our participants.

            We had only 16 participants on board which was below the minimum. Whale
            watching tourists would have provided 55 just for the morning and a
            second boatload in the afternnoon and a nice profit. We need to see more
            support from the birding community on these trips!

            Our next trip is on April 13, cost is $70 per person. Pterodroma Todd
            Easterla will be leading. Conditions permitting we will bird both Santa
            Cruz and Monterey county waters.

            http://www.montereyseabirds.com

            See you on the water,
            Roger Wolfe
            Monterey Bay
          • Roger Wolfe
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2003
              Our Mother's Day seabird trip was downsized. A small number of
              participants(14) resulted in us taking out the ol' Point Sur Clipper
              instead of the larger Sea Wolf II. Admittedly we've grown spoiled with
              the larger, more spacious boat. You'd think some of us would wax
              nostalgic in going out on the Clipper which is the boat many of us
              pelagiphiles cut our teeth on but I did hear some moaning. It was
              preferable by far to not going out at all(although I think my mom would
              have preferred we canceled).

              I had entertained some serious fantasy seabirds in that we'd had a few
              days of good onshore winds after a long period of having none at all.
              Our skipper Richard Ternullo's sighting of a Dark-rumped (presumably
              Hawaiian) Petrel the week before(photos at
              http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2003.html ) added fuel to the fire
              of my hopes of finding some outrageous pelagic vagrant but alas such was
              not the case. But hey, you got to keep at it to see the truly good
              pelagic birds right?

              It has been really interesting seabirding on a monthly basis and
              witnessing the changes. I've always been big on patch birding and the
              Monterey sea canyon is on helluva patch to work.

              When Big Sur Ornithology Lab interns Robin Honywell and Jessica Griffith
              showed up as volunteer chummers they said they were hoping to see an
              albatross and they weren't disappointed as we had 80 BLACK-FOOTED
              ALBATROSS for the day with as many as 15 at the stern at one time.

              SOOTY SHEARWATERS numbers were way up from last month's trip with birds
              visible almost continuously during our trip. PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS
              were also numerous (80) with many showing signs of molt.

              4 NORTHERN FULMARS, and 5 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were spring holdouts.
              Migrant gulls and terns were sparse with only a few BONPARTE'S and a
              single SABINE'S GULL. I have this theory that if there is a Brit on
              board and a Sabine's Gull in the vicinity that they will find it. Such
              was the case this time.

              We had several flocks of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES including a particularly
              large one at an area of convergent water but only a smattering of
              beautiful alternate plumaged RED PHALAROPES.

              HUMPBACK WHALES have returned and they were seen feeding off of Ft. Ord.
              Our only other cetacean being widely scattered PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED
              DOLPHINS.

              It was a good group on board. Special thanks to our regulars for their
              support and our leaders Don Roberson and Dan Singer. Our next trip is
              scheduled for June 8, hope you can make it. 831 375-4658
              http://www.montereyseabirds.com

              Cheers,
              Roger Wolfe
              Soquel
            • Roger Wolfe
              Message 6 of 11 , May 31, 2003
                Monterey Seabirds will feature two consecutive days of pelagic birding
                this Sept. 21 and 22. The first trip will be a 12 hour outing to the
                Albacore Grounds and the subsequent trip will focus on the Monterey
                Seavalley and the storm-petrel flocks. Costs are $110 and $70
                respectively. Details are at
                http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdWeekend.htm

                Hope to see you on the water,
                Roger Wolfe
                Monterey Bay
              • Roger Wolfe
                Message 7 of 11 , May 14, 2005
                  There are a few spaces still available for tomorrow's Monterey Seabirds
                  outing. We will make an effort to relocate the YELLOW-BILLED LOON that
                  has been present all week off Otter Point. Killer Whales have been seen
                  6 out of the last 7 days so there is an excellent chance of seeing them
                  as well. Cost is $80 per person. 831-375-4658
                  http://www.montereyseabirds.com

                  Cheers,
                  Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                  Soquel Canyon, CA
                • Roger Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 17, 2006
                    A trip report with photos by Jeff Poklen for the Monterey Seabirds
                    voyage to Sur Ridge on Aug. 13 is online at
                    http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdTripReport060813.htm

                    Cheers,
                    Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                    Soquel Canyon, CA
                  • John Sterling
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 13, 2014
                      Just a follow up to my earlier announcement about pelagic trips with Monterey Seabirds for this fall.  Our August 24th trip is fully booked, but we do have spaces on our September 7 (half day), 21, 28, October 5 and 12th, and November 7 (half day) trips.

                      As usual, we have great leaders including the incomparable Todd Easterla, and the best boat captain of all, Richard Ternullo--a trained biologist and seasoned captain for many decades.  We are the friendliest boat in the Monterey area, no stress, no yelling, no problems.

                      As others have mentioned, this is already a very interesting fall for pelagic seabirds and is the best opportunity to see Craveri's Murrelets in many, many years off Monterey.  With Alvaro's recent sighting of the Salvin's Albatross off San Mateo, who knows what else is out there.

                      We at Monterey Seabirds are proud to partner with Alvaro Jaramillo's "Alvaro's Adventures", and there is an opportunity to go on our boat on his chartered trip and our regular trip on back-to-back days--Oct 11 & 12.  The more time you spend on the water, the more likely you'll be on the boat when a mega rarity shows up.  Also everyday on the water is different!

                      Reservations are required. Reservations can be made using our online reservation form or by calling (831) 375-4658 with a credit card number to hold your spot. Go to Whale Watch Trip Information Page for further details (trip preparation, directions, etc.). For the Seabird trips we have a 2-week cancellation policy.

                      John Sterling
                      VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                      26 Palm Ave
                      Woodland, CA 95695