Monterey Seabirds

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 19, 2003
      Monterey Seabirds will be offering our first trip of the year on Feb.
      9. Don Roberson and Stephen F. Bailey will be leading. Cost is $70 per
      person. If you come on 3 of our trips the fourth one is free! If you
      take advantage of this your average price will be $52.50 per voyage.
      .( free trip is not redeemable for the Albacore grounds or Davidson
      Seamount trip) Trips are scheduled for the second Sunday of every month.

      Our skipper Richard Ternullo insists that there are some interesting
      birds to be seen at this time of year. Gray Whales will still be
      migrating. Sightings last Feb. included 7 Killer Whales, 4 other
      dolphin species and a Leatherback Turtle.

      February is your best chance for Laysan Albatross. We should see
      Black-footed Albatross, Ancient Murrelet, Red-necked Grebe, Short-tailed
      and Black-vented Shearwater, Cassin's and Rhino Auklets. Black-legged
      Kittiwake is possible. This winter there are some Harlequin Ducks and a
      few Marbled Murrelets in the Monterey area.. Last winter Richard and
      Stephen had a Horned Puffin less than 2 mi. off Pt. Pinos. In 2001
      Richard and others had a Greater Shearwater in that same area.

      New this year are a galley on board the Seawolf II and our leaders will
      be outfitted with FRS radios and headsets to insure all sightings get
      routed to the PA system quickly. Checklists will be provided to all
      participants.

      If you wish to be on our e-mail list for updates and advance information
      on upcoming trip or to register online go to
      http://www.montereyseabirds.com or call (831)375-4658

      See you on the water,
      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
      Soquel, CA
    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
        There are still spaces available for our Sun. Feb. 9 seabirding trip.
        Don Roberson and Stephen F. Bailey will be our leaders. Cost is $70 per
        person and if you come on 3 trips your 4th is free. It would be helpful
        if you could make reservations by this Sun. This year there are a good
        number of Ancient Murrelets in the bay and atypically Marbled Murrlets
        are being seen in the Monterey area. Harlequin Ducks are frequenting the
        harbor as well. Last Jan. there was a Horned Puffin sighted. In 2001 a
        Greater Shearwater and last month a Manx Shearwater was reported on a
        whale watch excursion. There is a good chance for Laysan Albatross at
        this time of year. Register online at http://www.montereyseabirds.com or
        call 375-4658.

        Rarities being seen in the Monterey Bay area currently:

        Santa Cruz county:

        Nutting's Flycatcher -1425 and 1433 Laurel St.

        Least Flycatcher- Moore Creek across Delaware Ave. from Antonelli Pond

        Red-naped Sapsucker - end of Felix St. off Laurel St. follow sign to
        natural area behind Cypress Apts. look in willows in lawn area upstream.

        Tufted Duck-exit on Buena Vista off Highway 1 near Watsonville proceed W
        and turn L on Harkins Slough Rd. Scope the NE part of slough from above
        the abandoned house on the L across from the landfill.

        Monterey County:

        Black-throated Green Warbler - Laguna Grande Park behind the Russian
        Orthodox church near the footbridge

        Summer Tanager- same location listed above

        Williamson's Sapsucker Del Monte forest off Highway 68

        Hope to see you out on the bay,
        Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
        Monterey Bay
      • Roger Wolfe
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2003
          When I realized we had a trip scheduled for the weekend of the AT&T
          Pro Am Golf Championship my heart sank. There is typically a phenomenon
          that as a kid growing up in the area we referred to as "Crosby weather".
          The former name of the tournament as in Bing Crosby. Invariably the
          weather would turn foul for the tourney, in '62 there was even a blizzard!

          Ah but my worries were all for naught. On Sunday's seabirding trip
          conditions were about as nice as you could hope for and the Pacific
          lived up to its name. We hosted an experienced group of hardy
          seabirders, many up from southern CA and several armed with long lenses.

          Inside the harbor we enjoyed close up views of a wintering pair of
          HARLEQUIN DUCKS. We were close enough to hear the male's high squeaky
          call. On the coast guard jetty we spotted 2 SURFBIRDS and 6 BLACK
          TURNSTONES.

          Before we even got to Cannery Row we spotted a RED-NECKED GREBE and out
          first of 10 ANCIENT MURRELETS. Our skipper Richard maneuvered the boat
          into favorable light for the photographers on board and we spent a fair
          amount of time trying to get some shots in during the bird's brief time
          on the surface. In this same area we began seeing PACIFIC LOONS and
          PELAGIC CORMORANTS.

          We headed out into the bay where we could see a lot of bird activity. En
          route Richard pointed out a POMARINE JAEGER. We came upon good numbers
          of alcids; RHINOCEROS and CASSIN'S AUKLETS, COMMON MURRES along with a
          sizable flock of BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS both in flight and on the
          water. Here we also had our first NORTHERN FULMAR.

          Our route headed south past the galleries at Pebble Beach which we could
          see, past Carmel Bay to Soberanes Rocks. A report of Killer Whales came
          in on the radio from this area but the only sign we saw of them were the
          two GRAY WHALES we saw heading north instead of south. Here we also
          came across the marine mammal of the day. A NORTHERN FUR SEAL was caught
          napping in its distinctive way.

          From Soberanes Rock we turned back toward deeper water and a fishing
          vessel we saw in the distance. A single dark shearwater sp. landed on
          the water and we motored over to check it out. It was very obliging,
          allowing us to get fairly close and get some photos. There was some
          spirited discussion on this bird. Leaders Don Roberson and Steve Bailey
          declared it a SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER. Another sooty type shearwater
          sp. seen later in the day went unidentified.

          THAYER'S GULL was called from the stern and came right up to the boat
          in pursuit of popcorn. All on board were able to get photos of this
          juvenal plumaged bird and and a thorough going over of the
          characteristics to look for. Later in the day we did the same with an
          adult THGU. BLACK-LEGGED KITTWAKES put in several appearances, 15 were
          seen on the day.

          We headed back toward the harbor down the middle of the bay. Along the
          way CASSIN'S and RHINO AUKLETS were abundant. Estimated numbers were
          for 3,000 CAAU and 1,500 RHAU!

          Near shore we cruised the beach and were rewarded with our bird of the
          day a MARBLED MURRELET which is rarely seen on the Monterey side of the
          bay.

          Our next trip is on March 9. Hope to see you then.
          http://www.montereyseabirds.com

          Roger Wolfe
          Monterey Bay, CA
        • Roger Wolfe
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
            There are still plenty of spaces for left for this Sunday's Monterey
            Seabirds trip. There are still good numbers of Ancient Murrelets and
            other interesting alcids in the bay. Gray Whales are still in migration
            and there have been a number of recent Killer Whale sightings too. There
            is still a good chance for Laysan Albatross at this time. Call
            831.375-4658 or go to http://www.montereyseabirds.com to sign up. The
            Creagrus himself, Don Roberson, will have some quality help leading this
            trip.

            Other rarities and birds of interest in the Monterey Bay area at this time:

            Santa Cruz area:

            Least Flycatcher at Natural Bridges State Park across Delaware Ave from
            Antonelli Pond

            Red-naped Sapsucker- follow sign to natural area behind apartments at
            the end of Felix St. off Laurel St.

            Monterey area:

            Zone-tailed Hawk-very elusive, seen mostly from the W side of Carmel
            Middle School just W of the intersection of Highway 1 and Carmel Valley Rd.

            California Condors-released birds- at the 40 mile marker on Highway 1
            south of Big Sur. Use the pullout and look up.

            Williamson's Sapsucker- Del Monte forest off Highway 68

            Black-throated Green Warbler in Laguna Grande park in Seaside.Near the
            footbridge behind the Russian Orthodox church.

            Cheers,
            Roger Wolfe
            Monterey Bay
          • Roger Wolfe
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
              Monterey Seabirds 3/9/03

              The weather service forecasted rain but what do they know?. We enjoyed a
              beautiful sunny day on the water with calm seas. No one on board ever
              looked the least bit green.

              Going out on a pelagic seabirding trip once a month is quite interesting
              in that you can witness the changes in avifauna that occurs in a four
              week period. Our trips are scheduled for the most part for the second
              Sunday of every month. Whereas last month we saw no Black-footed
              Albatross this trip had around 60!

              The trip highlight was a MANX SHEARWATER in a group of BLACK-VENTED
              SHEARWATERS spotted sitting on the water initially by our skipper
              Richard Ternullo.The bird took flight before he could get on the PA and
              leader Don Roberson caught sight of it from the bow and got others on
              the bird as it was flying away.

              Several wintering PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS were seen on the day and a
              distant SOOTY and a SHORT-TAILED made for 5 species of sheawaters for
              the day. Not bad for March!

              The pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS wintering in the harbor were found thanks to
              the sharp eyes of local bird guide Rick Fournier who spotted them on the
              rip rap at the back of the harbor. Richard skillfully manuevered the 70'
              Sea Wolf II into a place where all on board could see the pair.

              2 BRANT were seen on the little pocket beach near the radio tower on
              Cannery Row. In this same area we also found a few PIGEON GUILLEMOTS

              A notable change from last month was with alcids, CASSIN'S AUKLET and
              COMMON MURRE numbers were small compared to what we saw last month.
              RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were seen in nearly all plumage variations and still
              in good numbers.

              The GRAY WHALES are now all on their northbound migration as opposed to
              last month when we spotted the first north migrating pair. About 25
              miles offshore we were somewhat surprised to find the first HUMPBACK
              WHALE of the season. A curiously small and solitary one.

              A good deal of excitement was generated by a Gull that we initially
              thought was a GLAUCOUS but after some study was deemed a hybrid with
              some GLAUCOUS-WINGED characterstics that leader Dan Singer pointed out.
              We had several very cooperative BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES.

              Late in the day a dark POMARINE JAEGER was called out by apprentice
              leader Ryan DiGaudio.

              Back in the harbor as the boat was tied up a RED-NECKED GREBE was
              spotted providing one last tick for some of our participants.

              We had only 16 participants on board which was below the minimum. Whale
              watching tourists would have provided 55 just for the morning and a
              second boatload in the afternnoon and a nice profit. We need to see more
              support from the birding community on these trips!

              Our next trip is on April 13, cost is $70 per person. Pterodroma Todd
              Easterla will be leading. Conditions permitting we will bird both Santa
              Cruz and Monterey county waters.

              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2003
                Our Mother's Day seabird trip was downsized. A small number of
                participants(14) resulted in us taking out the ol' Point Sur Clipper
                instead of the larger Sea Wolf II. Admittedly we've grown spoiled with
                the larger, more spacious boat. You'd think some of us would wax
                nostalgic in going out on the Clipper which is the boat many of us
                pelagiphiles cut our teeth on but I did hear some moaning. It was
                preferable by far to not going out at all(although I think my mom would
                have preferred we canceled).

                I had entertained some serious fantasy seabirds in that we'd had a few
                days of good onshore winds after a long period of having none at all.
                Our skipper Richard Ternullo's sighting of a Dark-rumped (presumably
                Hawaiian) Petrel the week before(photos at
                http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2003.html ) added fuel to the fire
                of my hopes of finding some outrageous pelagic vagrant but alas such was
                not the case. But hey, you got to keep at it to see the truly good
                pelagic birds right?

                It has been really interesting seabirding on a monthly basis and
                witnessing the changes. I've always been big on patch birding and the
                Monterey sea canyon is on helluva patch to work.

                When Big Sur Ornithology Lab interns Robin Honywell and Jessica Griffith
                showed up as volunteer chummers they said they were hoping to see an
                albatross and they weren't disappointed as we had 80 BLACK-FOOTED
                ALBATROSS for the day with as many as 15 at the stern at one time.

                SOOTY SHEARWATERS numbers were way up from last month's trip with birds
                visible almost continuously during our trip. PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS
                were also numerous (80) with many showing signs of molt.

                4 NORTHERN FULMARS, and 5 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were spring holdouts.
                Migrant gulls and terns were sparse with only a few BONPARTE'S and a
                single SABINE'S GULL. I have this theory that if there is a Brit on
                board and a Sabine's Gull in the vicinity that they will find it. Such
                was the case this time.

                We had several flocks of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES including a particularly
                large one at an area of convergent water but only a smattering of
                beautiful alternate plumaged RED PHALAROPES.

                HUMPBACK WHALES have returned and they were seen feeding off of Ft. Ord.
                Our only other cetacean being widely scattered PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED
                DOLPHINS.

                It was a good group on board. Special thanks to our regulars for their
                support and our leaders Don Roberson and Dan Singer. Our next trip is
                scheduled for June 8, hope you can make it. 831 375-4658
                http://www.montereyseabirds.com

                Cheers,
                Roger Wolfe
                Soquel
              • Roger Wolfe
                Message 7 of 11 , May 31, 2003
                  Monterey Seabirds will feature two consecutive days of pelagic birding
                  this Sept. 21 and 22. The first trip will be a 12 hour outing to the
                  Albacore Grounds and the subsequent trip will focus on the Monterey
                  Seavalley and the storm-petrel flocks. Costs are $110 and $70
                  respectively. Details are at
                  http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdWeekend.htm

                  Hope to see you on the water,
                  Roger Wolfe
                  Monterey Bay
                • Roger Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 14, 2005
                    There are a few spaces still available for tomorrow's Monterey Seabirds
                    outing. We will make an effort to relocate the YELLOW-BILLED LOON that
                    has been present all week off Otter Point. Killer Whales have been seen
                    6 out of the last 7 days so there is an excellent chance of seeing them
                    as well. Cost is $80 per person. 831-375-4658
                    http://www.montereyseabirds.com

                    Cheers,
                    Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                    Soquel Canyon, CA
                  • Roger Wolfe
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 17 5:35 AM
                      A trip report with photos by Jeff Poklen for the Monterey Seabirds
                      voyage to Sur Ridge on Aug. 13 is online at
                      http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdTripReport060813.htm

                      Cheers,
                      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                      Soquel Canyon, CA
                    • John Sterling
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 13 1:16 PM
                        Just a follow up to my earlier announcement about pelagic trips with Monterey Seabirds for this fall.  Our August 24th trip is fully booked, but we do have spaces on our September 7 (half day), 21, 28, October 5 and 12th, and November 7 (half day) trips.

                        As usual, we have great leaders including the incomparable Todd Easterla, and the best boat captain of all, Richard Ternullo--a trained biologist and seasoned captain for many decades.  We are the friendliest boat in the Monterey area, no stress, no yelling, no problems.

                        As others have mentioned, this is already a very interesting fall for pelagic seabirds and is the best opportunity to see Craveri's Murrelets in many, many years off Monterey.  With Alvaro's recent sighting of the Salvin's Albatross off San Mateo, who knows what else is out there.

                        We at Monterey Seabirds are proud to partner with Alvaro Jaramillo's "Alvaro's Adventures", and there is an opportunity to go on our boat on his chartered trip and our regular trip on back-to-back days--Oct 11 & 12.  The more time you spend on the water, the more likely you'll be on the boat when a mega rarity shows up.  Also everyday on the water is different!

                        Reservations are required. Reservations can be made using our online reservation form or by calling (831) 375-4658 with a credit card number to hold your spot. Go to Whale Watch Trip Information Page for further details (trip preparation, directions, etc.). For the Seabird trips we have a 2-week cancellation policy.

                        John Sterling
                        VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                        26 Palm Ave
                        Woodland, CA 95695