Roberts Ranch to Dos Picos CP (San Diego Co.)

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 3:23 PM
      Hi, all!

      Today started at Roberts Ranch off Japatul Road, then over to the Riding and
      Hiking Trail across from Loveland Reservoir, then up to Palos Verde Lake,
      then over to Lake Jennings, then up to Iron Mountain and finally to Dos Picos
      CP.

      Overall it was rather quiet this morning and got pretty hot as well; Roberts
      Ranch had more juvenile-to-adult plumaged Western Bluebirds, and a couple of
      young titmice hopping along in the trail. Phainopeplas, House Wren, and an
      Orange-crowned Warbler were unique for this area, as well as an Acorn
      Woodpecker back at the car.

      With the exception of California Towhees and Wrentits, the R&H Trail was REAL
      quiet with nothing of note except another Oak Titmouse in the solitary eucs,
      which was strange in this chaparral habitat! Palos Verde Pond was a little
      more productive, with lots of Coots and Mallards, and a lesser number of Wood
      Ducks, Pied-billed Grebes, and snoozing Ruddies. A single Great Blue Heron
      and Snowy Egret foraged, while a juvenile Green Heron flew across the pond.
      Across the street in the oak woodland two Band-tailed Pigeons flushed, and a
      brilliant Flicker flew overhead.

      For the first time I can recall, I heard or saw NO Cactus Wrens at Lake
      Jennings this time (at least in the stretch I do; had I walked further down
      I'm sure I would have run into some)! California Gnatcatchers were mewing,
      however, and a wandering Western Gull was sitting on the water next to a
      buoy. Even here there were no other water birds to speak of, and the
      songbirds were relatively quiet as well; did have some California Quail
      chuckling at the overlook, however.

      I thought the little loop trail I take at Iron Mountain was gonna be a killer
      in the heat, but it didn't turn out to be too bad: once I got over the hill
      and down to the little pond it was quite pleasant! Still weren't many birds:
      a colony of Red-winged Blackbirds was unique for the day, and of course Song
      Sparrows and Yellowthroats were around the pond. The day's only California
      Thrasher chucked here as well.

      Last stop was Dos Picos, where I picked up a few new oak woodland birds, such
      as Red-shouldered Hawk and White-breasted Nuthatch. The pond was REALLY low,
      but even still had a family of Mallards and yet another Green Heron feeding
      away. Back by the spillway a Nuttall's Woodpecker called, and a real
      surprise was a Downy calling from the oaks; more Downy-friendly habitat was
      nearby, so I guess he was just looking for a shadier place to spend
      mid-morning... Crows were all over.

      Headed home after that. Bird List:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Great Blue Heron Ardea herodias
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Green Heron Butorides virescens
      Wood Duck Aix sponsa
      Mallard Anas platyrhynchos
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Turkey Vulture Cathartes aura
      Cooper's Hawk Accipiter cooperii
      Red-shouldered Hawk Buteo lineatus
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Western Gull Larus occidentalis
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Band-tailed Pigeon Columba fasciata
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Acorn Woodpecker Melanerpes formicivorus
      Nuttall's Woodpecker Picoides nuttallii
      Downy Woodpecker Picoides pubescens
      Northern Flicker Colaptes auratus
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Cassin's Kingbird Tyrannus vociferans
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      House Wren Troglodytes aedon
      California Thrasher Toxostoma redivivum
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Wrentit Chamaea fasciata
      California Gnatcatcher Polioptila californica
      Oak Titmouse Baeolophus inornatus
      White-breasted Nuthatch Sitta carolinensis
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Lesser Goldfinch Carduelis psaltria