Nutting's fly

  • scre@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2003
      Matt Brady and I among a host of birders saw the NUTTING'S FLYCATCHER this
      morning in Santa Cruz at 1425 Laurel St, from about 7:40-8:00. The bird was
      first found sitting quietly in a low bush in the front yard after we had been
      there for about 10 minutes. It then started flying around the olive trees
      eating olives and was also in the hedgerow on the leftside of the house. At
      about 8 it flew from the backyard uphill and was not seen again while we were
      there till about 8:40. Also 2 MERLINS were in the area. The Tufted Duck was
      not at Westlake Pond and there were few Ring-necks as well.

      David Vander Pluym
      UCSC
    • Dennis Braddy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2003
        Calbirders,

        The NUTTING'S FLYCATCHER returned a bit after 9:00 this morning. It fed and
        loafed for 45 minutes before an adoring group of 32 birders. The feeding box
        score was 4+ insects (including at least 1 winged insect and 1 pill bug) and
        1+ olive(s) (choked down whole). While taking a 10 minute break in clear
        view on a tree branch it regurgitated something, possibly an olive pit. The
        flycatcher visited 1425 Laurel Street twice and several yards on the
        opposite side of the street before flying off to the east.

        Dennis and Patricia Braddy
        San Ramon