Nutting's Flycatcher in Santa Cruz

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2003
      CalBirders,

      A NUTTING'S FLYCATCHER has been frequenting a residential area in Santa
      Cruz. It was first found by Michelle Scott on New Years Day, but the
      identification was not completely established until today. I am sorry to be
      tardy in posting this, but we needed to work out some access issues with
      the people living in the area.

      The bird is along Laurel Street. From Hwy 1 turn inland on Laurel, go past
      King Street. The bird has been seen on both sides of the street in the
      middle of the next block and has most often been seen feeding on olives in
      trees in front of the house at 1425 Laurel. The best viewing is from the
      public street. Please respect the privacy and private property of the
      residents. Under no circumstances should birders enter private property to
      see this bird.

      More information has been posted on the Monterey Bay Birding mailing list
      at:

      http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl?rm=idx;dir=mbb

      I have posted a description and some photos of the bird I took today at:

      http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/nutfly.htm

      Don Roberson has a page of additional photos and discussion devoted to this
      bird at:

      http://montereybay.com/creagrus/SCZnutting.html

      Other birds seen in the area today include the continuing BROWN BOOBY at
      Half Moon Bay, San Mateo County and the continuing EMPEROR GOOSE at Elkhorn
      Slough, Monterey County.

      Enjoy!

      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA 94044 jmorlan@...