Re: [CALBIRDS] When To Post Here

  • Steve Sosensky
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hi CalBirders,

      I agree with Cheri. As a start, I would say that any bird on the CBRC
      Review Species list would be a good candidate for posting to Calbirds.
      First state records, obviously not on the list, should also be posted here.

      I'm somewhat annoyed about this specific instance, BTW. I spent the night
      of 1/1 in Salinas. I wasn't subscribed to Monterey Bay Birds, but did check
      my Calbirds email from my cell phone and called the Monterey Birdbox (4
      rings no answer during dinner). It sure would have been nice to know that
      there was a Booby nearby.

      At 01:06 AM 1/1/2003 -0800, Cheri Pillsbury wrote:
      >Of course, not everyone is on Calbirds, and thus might only post on their
      >local listserv. What do you think, list owners? If someone had a good bird
      >on your local listserv, but didn't post it here- what would you do? Contact
      >them and ask them to post here, and if they can't, post the info here
      >yourself (with their permission)? Is that what you'd like us to do? Just
      >thinking it's time for spelling out these guidelines again.

      Good birding,
      Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

      10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
      Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
      SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Hi Calbirders,

        Last night I wrote:
        It sure would have been nice to know that there was a Booby nearby.

        Sorry for my late night confusion. I should have said Emperor Goose.
        However, the problem remains the same. The Emperor Goose wasn't reported to
        Calbirds on the first either.

        occurrences of local politics and personality clashes which keep people
        from posting to various lists or calling certain bird boxes. Most of us out
        here don't care about who likes or dislikes whom. We just want to know when
        to chase a really good bird.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
      • Dave Ranney
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          Calbirders,

          Just a reminder -- you can monitor the daily postings to 24 regional
          California birding email lists, as well as CALBIRDS, via the CA Birding
          Lists Digest at

          http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl

          This wouldn't have helped Steve (having access only to email), but I
          wanted to point it out as it was created to help alleviate the problem
          of "good" birds being posted only to regional lists.

          -Dave Ranney
          -Ladera Ranch, Orange County, CA