Sedge Wren

  • Ruth Rudesill
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      Yesterday (1/1/03) I saw the Sedge Wren at Half Moon Bay State Park at around noon. (I sent this yesterday but it came back)

      The bird was located down the roped path passed the amipitheater, a ways down trail passed the marker "7" and about 15-20 ft beyond the marker there is a sign about the Snowy Plover Habitat(on the beach side) - acrossed from that sign is a swale with a dried pile of brush . The bird was busy in that brush and I got excellent full sunlight looks from maybe 10-12 feet away. This bird was also calling, a soft chrrp, and was active several times coming out in the open and posing. It was a beautiful, delightful bird and I was thirlled at the good looks. I saw the bird from all sides and wrote a description.

      From Hwy 1 take Kelly Rd West to park entrance then to the nw corner of parking lot (in the campground) you will have to park outside the campground and walk in if it is crowded. The ampitheater is just beyond the bathroom. There is a $4 entrance fee.

      Ruth Rudesill
      Kenwood,Sonoma County

    • John Meyer
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 12, 2003
        All:

        The Sedge Wren at Half Moon Bay was briefly seen and heard again today,
        from about 4:30 to 5. It was skulking on both sides of the trail from 5 to
        15 yards south of the "7" marker. Curtis Marantz identified it, and Maria
        and I (along with Dave Compton) got a number of brief views.

        Yours, John Meyer