Monterey Seabirds

  • Roger Wolfe
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2003
      Now that 2003 has arrived, many of you will be making plans and
      formulating goals for the new year.
      Beginning Feb 9, Monterey Bay Whale Watch will be offering year- round
      monthly pelagic trips. To make the dates easy to remember, these trips
      will be held on the second Sunday of each month (except Dec's will be on
      the 7th). The cost will be $70 per person. In the fall an Albacore
      Grounds trip will be offered and a 24-hour deepwater pelagic to the
      Davidson Seamount. Prices for these two trips are yet to be announced.

      Also as a bonus for local birders we will offer a free trip if you come
      on 3 outings. Four trips for the price of three! (Not redeemable for the
      albacore or seamount trip.)

      The Feb.9 trip will be one of discovery as very few pelagic trips have
      been taken during this month. Last Jan. 13 leader Stephen F. Bailey and
      our skipper Richard Ternullo found a Horned Puffin less than two miles
      off Pt. Pinos. This is a great time for alcids (Parakeet Auklet?) and
      one of your best bets to see Laysan Albatross.

      The Sea Wolf II has just been outfitted with a galley and will now offer
      food and beverages for sale, in addition to the usual complimentary coffee.

      We are looking to expand our leader base. If you have pelagic birding
      experience and are interested in leading trips, please contact me privately.

      Reservations can be made online at http://montereyseabirds.com

      Wishing you Happy New Year birds,
      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
    • Roger Wolfe
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 19, 2003
        Monterey Seabirds will be offering our first trip of the year on Feb.
        9. Don Roberson and Stephen F. Bailey will be leading. Cost is $70 per
        person. If you come on 3 of our trips the fourth one is free! If you
        take advantage of this your average price will be $52.50 per voyage.
        .( free trip is not redeemable for the Albacore grounds or Davidson
        Seamount trip) Trips are scheduled for the second Sunday of every month.

        Our skipper Richard Ternullo insists that there are some interesting
        birds to be seen at this time of year. Gray Whales will still be
        migrating. Sightings last Feb. included 7 Killer Whales, 4 other
        dolphin species and a Leatherback Turtle.

        February is your best chance for Laysan Albatross. We should see
        Black-footed Albatross, Ancient Murrelet, Red-necked Grebe, Short-tailed
        and Black-vented Shearwater, Cassin's and Rhino Auklets. Black-legged
        Kittiwake is possible. This winter there are some Harlequin Ducks and a
        few Marbled Murrelets in the Monterey area.. Last winter Richard and
        Stephen had a Horned Puffin less than 2 mi. off Pt. Pinos. In 2001
        Richard and others had a Greater Shearwater in that same area.

        New this year are a galley on board the Seawolf II and our leaders will
        be outfitted with FRS radios and headsets to insure all sightings get
        routed to the PA system quickly. Checklists will be provided to all
        participants.

        If you wish to be on our e-mail list for updates and advance information
        on upcoming trip or to register online go to
        http://www.montereyseabirds.com or call (831)375-4658

        See you on the water,
        Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
        Soquel, CA
      • Roger Wolfe
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 31, 2003
          There are still spaces available for our Sun. Feb. 9 seabirding trip.
          Don Roberson and Stephen F. Bailey will be our leaders. Cost is $70 per
          person and if you come on 3 trips your 4th is free. It would be helpful
          if you could make reservations by this Sun. This year there are a good
          number of Ancient Murrelets in the bay and atypically Marbled Murrlets
          are being seen in the Monterey area. Harlequin Ducks are frequenting the
          harbor as well. Last Jan. there was a Horned Puffin sighted. In 2001 a
          Greater Shearwater and last month a Manx Shearwater was reported on a
          whale watch excursion. There is a good chance for Laysan Albatross at
          this time of year. Register online at http://www.montereyseabirds.com or
          call 375-4658.

          Rarities being seen in the Monterey Bay area currently:

          Santa Cruz county:

          Nutting's Flycatcher -1425 and 1433 Laurel St.

          Least Flycatcher- Moore Creek across Delaware Ave. from Antonelli Pond

          Red-naped Sapsucker - end of Felix St. off Laurel St. follow sign to
          natural area behind Cypress Apts. look in willows in lawn area upstream.

          Tufted Duck-exit on Buena Vista off Highway 1 near Watsonville proceed W
          and turn L on Harkins Slough Rd. Scope the NE part of slough from above
          the abandoned house on the L across from the landfill.

          Monterey County:

          Black-throated Green Warbler - Laguna Grande Park behind the Russian
          Orthodox church near the footbridge

          Summer Tanager- same location listed above

          Williamson's Sapsucker Del Monte forest off Highway 68

          Hope to see you out on the bay,
          Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
          Monterey Bay
        • Roger Wolfe
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 10, 2003
            When I realized we had a trip scheduled for the weekend of the AT&T
            Pro Am Golf Championship my heart sank. There is typically a phenomenon
            that as a kid growing up in the area we referred to as "Crosby weather".
            The former name of the tournament as in Bing Crosby. Invariably the
            weather would turn foul for the tourney, in '62 there was even a blizzard!

            Ah but my worries were all for naught. On Sunday's seabirding trip
            conditions were about as nice as you could hope for and the Pacific
            lived up to its name. We hosted an experienced group of hardy
            seabirders, many up from southern CA and several armed with long lenses.

            Inside the harbor we enjoyed close up views of a wintering pair of
            HARLEQUIN DUCKS. We were close enough to hear the male's high squeaky
            call. On the coast guard jetty we spotted 2 SURFBIRDS and 6 BLACK
            TURNSTONES.

            Before we even got to Cannery Row we spotted a RED-NECKED GREBE and out
            first of 10 ANCIENT MURRELETS. Our skipper Richard maneuvered the boat
            into favorable light for the photographers on board and we spent a fair
            amount of time trying to get some shots in during the bird's brief time
            on the surface. In this same area we began seeing PACIFIC LOONS and
            PELAGIC CORMORANTS.

            We headed out into the bay where we could see a lot of bird activity. En
            route Richard pointed out a POMARINE JAEGER. We came upon good numbers
            of alcids; RHINOCEROS and CASSIN'S AUKLETS, COMMON MURRES along with a
            sizable flock of BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATERS both in flight and on the
            water. Here we also had our first NORTHERN FULMAR.

            Our route headed south past the galleries at Pebble Beach which we could
            see, past Carmel Bay to Soberanes Rocks. A report of Killer Whales came
            in on the radio from this area but the only sign we saw of them were the
            two GRAY WHALES we saw heading north instead of south. Here we also
            came across the marine mammal of the day. A NORTHERN FUR SEAL was caught
            napping in its distinctive way.

            From Soberanes Rock we turned back toward deeper water and a fishing
            vessel we saw in the distance. A single dark shearwater sp. landed on
            the water and we motored over to check it out. It was very obliging,
            allowing us to get fairly close and get some photos. There was some
            spirited discussion on this bird. Leaders Don Roberson and Steve Bailey
            declared it a SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER. Another sooty type shearwater
            sp. seen later in the day went unidentified.

            THAYER'S GULL was called from the stern and came right up to the boat
            in pursuit of popcorn. All on board were able to get photos of this
            juvenal plumaged bird and and a thorough going over of the
            characteristics to look for. Later in the day we did the same with an
            adult THGU. BLACK-LEGGED KITTWAKES put in several appearances, 15 were
            seen on the day.

            We headed back toward the harbor down the middle of the bay. Along the
            way CASSIN'S and RHINO AUKLETS were abundant. Estimated numbers were
            for 3,000 CAAU and 1,500 RHAU!

            Near shore we cruised the beach and were rewarded with our bird of the
            day a MARBLED MURRELET which is rarely seen on the Monterey side of the
            bay.

            Our next trip is on March 9. Hope to see you then.
            http://www.montereyseabirds.com

            Roger Wolfe
            Monterey Bay, CA
          • Roger Wolfe
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 3, 2003
              There are still plenty of spaces for left for this Sunday's Monterey
              Seabirds trip. There are still good numbers of Ancient Murrelets and
              other interesting alcids in the bay. Gray Whales are still in migration
              and there have been a number of recent Killer Whale sightings too. There
              is still a good chance for Laysan Albatross at this time. Call
              831.375-4658 or go to http://www.montereyseabirds.com to sign up. The
              Creagrus himself, Don Roberson, will have some quality help leading this
              trip.

              Other rarities and birds of interest in the Monterey Bay area at this time:

              Santa Cruz area:

              Least Flycatcher at Natural Bridges State Park across Delaware Ave from
              Antonelli Pond

              Red-naped Sapsucker- follow sign to natural area behind apartments at
              the end of Felix St. off Laurel St.

              Monterey area:

              Zone-tailed Hawk-very elusive, seen mostly from the W side of Carmel
              Middle School just W of the intersection of Highway 1 and Carmel Valley Rd.

              California Condors-released birds- at the 40 mile marker on Highway 1
              south of Big Sur. Use the pullout and look up.

              Williamson's Sapsucker- Del Monte forest off Highway 68

              Black-throated Green Warbler in Laguna Grande park in Seaside.Near the
              footbridge behind the Russian Orthodox church.

              Cheers,
              Roger Wolfe
              Monterey Bay
            • Roger Wolfe
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 10, 2003
                Monterey Seabirds 3/9/03

                The weather service forecasted rain but what do they know?. We enjoyed a
                beautiful sunny day on the water with calm seas. No one on board ever
                looked the least bit green.

                Going out on a pelagic seabirding trip once a month is quite interesting
                in that you can witness the changes in avifauna that occurs in a four
                week period. Our trips are scheduled for the most part for the second
                Sunday of every month. Whereas last month we saw no Black-footed
                Albatross this trip had around 60!

                The trip highlight was a MANX SHEARWATER in a group of BLACK-VENTED
                SHEARWATERS spotted sitting on the water initially by our skipper
                Richard Ternullo.The bird took flight before he could get on the PA and
                leader Don Roberson caught sight of it from the bow and got others on
                the bird as it was flying away.

                Several wintering PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS were seen on the day and a
                distant SOOTY and a SHORT-TAILED made for 5 species of sheawaters for
                the day. Not bad for March!

                The pair of HARLEQUIN DUCKS wintering in the harbor were found thanks to
                the sharp eyes of local bird guide Rick Fournier who spotted them on the
                rip rap at the back of the harbor. Richard skillfully manuevered the 70'
                Sea Wolf II into a place where all on board could see the pair.

                2 BRANT were seen on the little pocket beach near the radio tower on
                Cannery Row. In this same area we also found a few PIGEON GUILLEMOTS

                A notable change from last month was with alcids, CASSIN'S AUKLET and
                COMMON MURRE numbers were small compared to what we saw last month.
                RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were seen in nearly all plumage variations and still
                in good numbers.

                The GRAY WHALES are now all on their northbound migration as opposed to
                last month when we spotted the first north migrating pair. About 25
                miles offshore we were somewhat surprised to find the first HUMPBACK
                WHALE of the season. A curiously small and solitary one.

                A good deal of excitement was generated by a Gull that we initially
                thought was a GLAUCOUS but after some study was deemed a hybrid with
                some GLAUCOUS-WINGED characterstics that leader Dan Singer pointed out.
                We had several very cooperative BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES.

                Late in the day a dark POMARINE JAEGER was called out by apprentice
                leader Ryan DiGaudio.

                Back in the harbor as the boat was tied up a RED-NECKED GREBE was
                spotted providing one last tick for some of our participants.

                We had only 16 participants on board which was below the minimum. Whale
                watching tourists would have provided 55 just for the morning and a
                second boatload in the afternnoon and a nice profit. We need to see more
                support from the birding community on these trips!

                Our next trip is on April 13, cost is $70 per person. Pterodroma Todd
                Easterla will be leading. Conditions permitting we will bird both Santa
                Cruz and Monterey county waters.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 13 7:04 PM
                  Our Mother's Day seabird trip was downsized. A small number of
                  participants(14) resulted in us taking out the ol' Point Sur Clipper
                  instead of the larger Sea Wolf II. Admittedly we've grown spoiled with
                  the larger, more spacious boat. You'd think some of us would wax
                  nostalgic in going out on the Clipper which is the boat many of us
                  pelagiphiles cut our teeth on but I did hear some moaning. It was
                  preferable by far to not going out at all(although I think my mom would
                  have preferred we canceled).

                  I had entertained some serious fantasy seabirds in that we'd had a few
                  days of good onshore winds after a long period of having none at all.
                  Our skipper Richard Ternullo's sighting of a Dark-rumped (presumably
                  Hawaiian) Petrel the week before(photos at
                  http://montereybay.com/creagrus/MTY_2003.html ) added fuel to the fire
                  of my hopes of finding some outrageous pelagic vagrant but alas such was
                  not the case. But hey, you got to keep at it to see the truly good
                  pelagic birds right?

                  It has been really interesting seabirding on a monthly basis and
                  witnessing the changes. I've always been big on patch birding and the
                  Monterey sea canyon is on helluva patch to work.

                  When Big Sur Ornithology Lab interns Robin Honywell and Jessica Griffith
                  showed up as volunteer chummers they said they were hoping to see an
                  albatross and they weren't disappointed as we had 80 BLACK-FOOTED
                  ALBATROSS for the day with as many as 15 at the stern at one time.

                  SOOTY SHEARWATERS numbers were way up from last month's trip with birds
                  visible almost continuously during our trip. PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS
                  were also numerous (80) with many showing signs of molt.

                  4 NORTHERN FULMARS, and 5 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS were spring holdouts.
                  Migrant gulls and terns were sparse with only a few BONPARTE'S and a
                  single SABINE'S GULL. I have this theory that if there is a Brit on
                  board and a Sabine's Gull in the vicinity that they will find it. Such
                  was the case this time.

                  We had several flocks of RED-NECKED PHALAROPES including a particularly
                  large one at an area of convergent water but only a smattering of
                  beautiful alternate plumaged RED PHALAROPES.

                  HUMPBACK WHALES have returned and they were seen feeding off of Ft. Ord.
                  Our only other cetacean being widely scattered PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED
                  DOLPHINS.

                  It was a good group on board. Special thanks to our regulars for their
                  support and our leaders Don Roberson and Dan Singer. Our next trip is
                  scheduled for June 8, hope you can make it. 831 375-4658
                  http://www.montereyseabirds.com

                  Cheers,
                  Roger Wolfe
                  Soquel
                • Roger Wolfe
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31 7:23 AM
                    Monterey Seabirds will feature two consecutive days of pelagic birding
                    this Sept. 21 and 22. The first trip will be a 12 hour outing to the
                    Albacore Grounds and the subsequent trip will focus on the Monterey
                    Seavalley and the storm-petrel flocks. Costs are $110 and $70
                    respectively. Details are at
                    http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdWeekend.htm

                    Hope to see you on the water,
                    Roger Wolfe
                    Monterey Bay
                  • Roger Wolfe
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 14 10:15 AM
                      There are a few spaces still available for tomorrow's Monterey Seabirds
                      outing. We will make an effort to relocate the YELLOW-BILLED LOON that
                      has been present all week off Otter Point. Killer Whales have been seen
                      6 out of the last 7 days so there is an excellent chance of seeing them
                      as well. Cost is $80 per person. 831-375-4658
                      http://www.montereyseabirds.com

                      Cheers,
                      Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                      Soquel Canyon, CA
                    • Roger Wolfe
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 17, 2006
                        A trip report with photos by Jeff Poklen for the Monterey Seabirds
                        voyage to Sur Ridge on Aug. 13 is online at
                        http://www.montereyseabirds.com/SeabirdTripReport060813.htm

                        Cheers,
                        Roger Wolfe for Monterey Seabirds
                        Soquel Canyon, CA
                      • John Sterling
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 13, 2014
                          Just a follow up to my earlier announcement about pelagic trips with Monterey Seabirds for this fall.  Our August 24th trip is fully booked, but we do have spaces on our September 7 (half day), 21, 28, October 5 and 12th, and November 7 (half day) trips.

                          As usual, we have great leaders including the incomparable Todd Easterla, and the best boat captain of all, Richard Ternullo--a trained biologist and seasoned captain for many decades.  We are the friendliest boat in the Monterey area, no stress, no yelling, no problems.

                          As others have mentioned, this is already a very interesting fall for pelagic seabirds and is the best opportunity to see Craveri's Murrelets in many, many years off Monterey.  With Alvaro's recent sighting of the Salvin's Albatross off San Mateo, who knows what else is out there.

                          We at Monterey Seabirds are proud to partner with Alvaro Jaramillo's "Alvaro's Adventures", and there is an opportunity to go on our boat on his chartered trip and our regular trip on back-to-back days--Oct 11 & 12.  The more time you spend on the water, the more likely you'll be on the boat when a mega rarity shows up.  Also everyday on the water is different!

                          Reservations are required. Reservations can be made using our online reservation form or by calling (831) 375-4658 with a credit card number to hold your spot. Go to Whale Watch Trip Information Page for further details (trip preparation, directions, etc.). For the Seabird trips we have a 2-week cancellation policy.

                          John Sterling
                          VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

                          26 Palm Ave
                          Woodland, CA 95695