Re: [CALBIRDS] When To Post Here

  • Bruce Deuel
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hi all,
      I seem to remember when I first subscribed to BIRDWEST that it was
      possible to be selective about which RBA transcriptions you received, if
      getting them all is considered to be a problem.
      Cheers,
      Bruce Deuel
      Redding

      >>> Les Chibana <les@...> 01/01/03 04:59AM >>>
      For the cost of receiving all of the western NA RBA transcriptions, you

      can receive the No. Cal. BirdBox reports by subscribing to BirdWest.
      From the list admin message:
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
        Hi CalBirders,

        I agree with Cheri. As a start, I would say that any bird on the CBRC
        Review Species list would be a good candidate for posting to Calbirds.
        First state records, obviously not on the list, should also be posted here.

        I'm somewhat annoyed about this specific instance, BTW. I spent the night
        of 1/1 in Salinas. I wasn't subscribed to Monterey Bay Birds, but did check
        my Calbirds email from my cell phone and called the Monterey Birdbox (4
        rings no answer during dinner). It sure would have been nice to know that
        there was a Booby nearby.

        At 01:06 AM 1/1/2003 -0800, Cheri Pillsbury wrote:
        >Of course, not everyone is on Calbirds, and thus might only post on their
        >local listserv. What do you think, list owners? If someone had a good bird
        >on your local listserv, but didn't post it here- what would you do? Contact
        >them and ask them to post here, and if they can't, post the info here
        >yourself (with their permission)? Is that what you'd like us to do? Just
        >thinking it's time for spelling out these guidelines again.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
      • Steve Sosensky
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
          Hi Calbirders,

          Last night I wrote:
          It sure would have been nice to know that there was a Booby nearby.

          Sorry for my late night confusion. I should have said Emperor Goose.
          However, the problem remains the same. The Emperor Goose wasn't reported to
          Calbirds on the first either.

          occurrences of local politics and personality clashes which keep people
          from posting to various lists or calling certain bird boxes. Most of us out
          here don't care about who likes or dislikes whom. We just want to know when
          to chase a really good bird.

          Good birding,
          Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

          10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
          Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
          SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
        • Dave Ranney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            Calbirders,

            Just a reminder -- you can monitor the daily postings to 24 regional
            California birding email lists, as well as CALBIRDS, via the CA Birding
            Lists Digest at

            http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl

            This wouldn't have helped Steve (having access only to email), but I
            wanted to point it out as it was created to help alleviate the problem
            of "good" birds being posted only to regional lists.

            -Dave Ranney
            -Ladera Ranch, Orange County, CA