LA and SD area birds

  • tertial <shampton@ospr.dfg.ca.gov>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003
      I just returned from a trip to the LA and San Diego areas.
      Highlights included:

      Doheny State Beach:
      1 adult(!) THAYER'S GULL on 12/27

      Lake Poway:
      1 adult ROSS'S GOOSE on 12/28-29
      1 imm. COMMON LOON on 12/28-29
      1 AM. WHITE PELICAN on 12/29

      Malibu Lagoon on 12/30:
      100+ DARK-VENTED SHEARWATERS easily viewable from shore
      5+ 1y GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS

      Malibu/Las Virgenes Cyn Rd on 12/30:
      several LEWIS' WOODPECKERS flycatching from poles near Malibu Creek
      SP.

      My parent's house in Hidden Hills (near Woodland Hills) on 12/30:
      1 WESTERN SCREECH-OWL serenading us; a bit of a surprise in such a
      residential area!

      good birding,

      Steve Hampton
      Davis, CA