When To Post Here

  • Cheri Pillsbury
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi All,

      Happy New Year!!! Good birds for you all!

      Now then. I was forwarded a post from a local listserv I don't subscribe to
      from someone who does. I was reading along, and in it Joe Morlan said "We
      didn't see the previously reported Gyrfalcon or Northern Shrike".

      Whoa! Those are good birds- the Gyr is about No.1 on my wish-list. My
      question is, why didn't the original observer post them here as well as on
      their local listserv? Unlike some of you (and you know who you are...) I
      don't subscribe to every listserv in the state. I subscribe to my county
      listserv (which make sense, as I founded it) and Central Valley Birds, which
      surrounds San Joaquin County. I subscribe to Calbirds to find out what good
      birds are being seen in the rest of the state.

      So, let's make a New Year's Resolution to post good birds here. If you're
      not sure your bird is worth mentioning other than on your local listserv-
      please err on the side of caution. I'd rather delete something that doesn't
      interest me than miss a Gyrfalcon report- especially if it's in chasing
      distance. Your report will probably be of interest to someone. Plus, the
      reports give us an idea of bird movements, if this is an irruptive year for
      northern species, etc.

      Of course, not everyone is on Calbirds, and thus might only post on their
      local listserv. What do you think, list owners? If someone had a good bird
      on your local listserv, but didn't post it here- what would you do? Contact
      them and ask them to post here, and if they can't, post the info here
      yourself (with their permission)? Is that what you'd like us to do? Just
      thinking it's time for spelling out these guidelines again.

      And as a pre-emptive strike for the posts that would follow, don't forget to
      call the appropriate RBA's.

      Cheri Pillsbury
      Stockton
    • Les Chibana
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2003
        Cheri,

        I believe the "previously reported Gyrfalcon and Northern Shrike" were
        from the Northern California BirdBox, 415-681-7422. I don't think these
        sightings were ever confirmed by another observer and there were no
        details given to support these IDs. It's possible that the observer is/
        was not a subscriber to any of the local lists or Calbirds; I never saw
        this report anywhere else. (There was a report on a local list of a
        Gyr with jesses in Oakland? at about the same time.)

        For the cost of receiving all of the western NA RBA transcriptions, you
        can receive the No. Cal. BirdBox reports by subscribing to BirdWest.
        From the list admin message:

        To subscribe to any of the lists, send a mail file to
        <LISTSERV@...> with the first line of the message's
        body: SUBSCRIBE BIRDxxxx Your Name where BIRDxxxx is replaced by the NBHC
        list you'd like to subscribe to, and Your Name is your real name. No
        "handles", please.

        In the above, use "birdwest" in place of "BIRDxxx".

        It's very possible that the Gyr was seen as reported but also likely
        that last season's sighting in the same area was having some residual
        effect. I understand that during the days following the confirmation of
        last season's Gyr, some reports were thought to be of a Prairie Falcon.
        This fall/early winter, there was a Prairie Falcon in the area.

        Les Chibana
        Palo Alto

        On Wednesday, January 1, 2003 1:06 AM, Cheri Pillsbury <cpillsbury@...> wrote:
        >Hi All,
        >
        >Happy New Year!!! Good birds for you all!
        >
        >Now then. I was forwarded a post from a local listserv I don't subscribe to
        >from someone who does. I was reading along, and in it Joe Morlan said "We
        >didn't see the previously reported Gyrfalcon or Northern
        >Shrike".
        >
        >Whoa! Those are good birds- the Gyr is about No.1 on my wish-list. My
        >question is, why didn't the original observer post them here as well as on
        >their local listserv? Unlike some of you (and you know who you are...) I
        >don't subscribe to every listserv in the state. I subscribe to my county
        >listserv (which make sense, as I founded it) and Central Valley Birds, which
        >surrounds San Joaquin County. I subscribe to Calbirds to find out what good
        >birds are being seen in the rest of the state.
        >
        >So, let's make a New Year's Resolution to post good birds here. If you're
        >not sure your bird is worth mentioning other than on your local listserv-
        >please err on the side of caution. I'd rather delete something that doesn't
        >interest me than miss a Gyrfalcon report- especially if it's in chasing
        >distance. Your report will probably be of interest to someone. Plus, the
        >reports give us an idea of bird movements, if this is an irruptive year for
        >northern species, etc.
        >
        >Of course, not everyone is on Calbirds, and thus might only post on their
        >local listserv. What do you think, list owners? If someone had a good bird
        >on your local listserv, but didn't post it here- what would you do? Contact
        >them and ask them to post here, and if they can't, post the info here
        >yourself (with their permission)? Is that what you'd like us to do? Just
        >thinking it's time for spelling out these guidelines again.
        >
        >And as a pre-emptive strike for the posts that would follow, don't forget to
        >call the appropriate RBA's.
        >
        >Cheri Pillsbury
        >Stockton

        >For vacation suspension of mail go to the website. Click on
        >Edit My Membership and set your mail option to No Email. Or,
        >send a blank email to these addresses:

        >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Bruce Deuel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          Hi all,
          I seem to remember when I first subscribed to BIRDWEST that it was
          possible to be selective about which RBA transcriptions you received, if
          getting them all is considered to be a problem.
          Cheers,
          Bruce Deuel
          Redding

          >>> Les Chibana <les@...> 01/01/03 04:59AM >>>
          For the cost of receiving all of the western NA RBA transcriptions, you

          can receive the No. Cal. BirdBox reports by subscribing to BirdWest.
          From the list admin message:
        • Steve Sosensky
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
            Hi CalBirders,

            I agree with Cheri. As a start, I would say that any bird on the CBRC
            Review Species list would be a good candidate for posting to Calbirds.
            First state records, obviously not on the list, should also be posted here.

            I'm somewhat annoyed about this specific instance, BTW. I spent the night
            of 1/1 in Salinas. I wasn't subscribed to Monterey Bay Birds, but did check
            my Calbirds email from my cell phone and called the Monterey Birdbox (4
            rings no answer during dinner). It sure would have been nice to know that
            there was a Booby nearby.

            At 01:06 AM 1/1/2003 -0800, Cheri Pillsbury wrote:
            >Of course, not everyone is on Calbirds, and thus might only post on their
            >local listserv. What do you think, list owners? If someone had a good bird
            >on your local listserv, but didn't post it here- what would you do? Contact
            >them and ask them to post here, and if they can't, post the info here
            >yourself (with their permission)? Is that what you'd like us to do? Just
            >thinking it's time for spelling out these guidelines again.

            Good birding,
            Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

            10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
            Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
            SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
          • Steve Sosensky
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
              Hi Calbirders,

              Last night I wrote:
              It sure would have been nice to know that there was a Booby nearby.

              Sorry for my late night confusion. I should have said Emperor Goose.
              However, the problem remains the same. The Emperor Goose wasn't reported to
              Calbirds on the first either.

              occurrences of local politics and personality clashes which keep people
              from posting to various lists or calling certain bird boxes. Most of us out
              here don't care about who likes or dislikes whom. We just want to know when
              to chase a really good bird.

              Good birding,
              Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

              10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
              Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
              SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
            • Dave Ranney
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 3, 2003
                Calbirders,

                Just a reminder -- you can monitor the daily postings to 24 regional
                California birding email lists, as well as CALBIRDS, via the CA Birding
                Lists Digest at

                http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl

                This wouldn't have helped Steve (having access only to email), but I
                wanted to point it out as it was created to help alleviate the problem
                of "good" birds being posted only to regional lists.

                -Dave Ranney
                -Ladera Ranch, Orange County, CA