Black-legged Kittiwake in Merced County

  • Dr. Michael M. Rogers
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2002
      Dear calbirders,

      For those interested, Alma Kali, Mike Mammoser, Dick Stovel, Grant and
      Karen Hoyt, and I found an immature BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE near Santa
      Nella in Merced County during our coverage for the Los Banos CBC today
      12/30/02. I believe that this is a first county record for this
      species.

      To reach the bird, head east from the McDonalds in Santa Nella on
      Henry Miller Avenue. Immediately after coming down off the
      overcrossing over Interstate 5 there is a large eucalyptus tree over a
      gravel pullout on the left (north side). Turn left here and follow
      the road along the east side of the canal for a few hundred yards
      until you get to the houses. The Kittiwake was in the channel here,
      associating with Snowy Egrets, White-faced Ibis, Greater Yellowlegs,
      and Black-necked Stilts from 11:12am to 11:30am and was still present
      when we left. It was fairly tame and allowed for some nice close
      photos!

      There was also an adult BALD EAGLE just east of here - and other
      interesting raptors throughout the area.

      Mike Rogers
      Sunnyvale, CA
    • Dennis Braddy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        Calbirders,

        Along with Karen and Julie Rapp we found the continuing immature
        BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE near Santa Nella in Merced County at 8:00 A.M. today,
        1/2/03. It was somewhat closer to Henry Miller Avenue than its originally
        reported location.

        Dennis and Patricia Braddy
        San Ramon