SLO/SB County birding on 29 Dec

  • Brandon Percival
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2002
      David Bradford and I birded in San Luis Obispo and northern Santa Barbara counties today, 29 Dec. Highlights follow:

      Montana de Oro State Park off the cliffs on the ocean:

      lots of loons and Surf Scoters flying past
      Northern Fulmar - 2
      Black-vented Shearwater - 1
      Black Scoter - 1 female
      Long-tailed Duck - 2 male
      Common Murre - <5
      ANCIENT MURRELET - 1 close to shore
      Rhinoceros Auklet - >65

      Sweat Springs:
      Eurasian Wigeon - 1 male today, 4 males on 28 Dec
      Swamp Sparrow - 1

      Mary Herrington Park in Pismo Beach:
      YELLOW WARBLER - 1

      Oceano Campground:
      Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1

      Pismo Beach:
      lots of Surf Scoters
      Black Scoter - 1 male, 1 female

      Santa Maria Rivermouth:
      8 species of gulls including:
      Thayer's Gull - 1 juv.

      Brandon K. Percival
      Editor, Mountain West Region, _North American Birds_ magazine
      Pueblo West, CO
      flammowl@...

      Only $9.95 per month!
      Visit www.juno.com