follow-up on California visit

  • Duval, Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2002
      I would first like to thank those who responded to my query for birding
      info a few weeks back. A few brief observations/questions follow:

      We spotted a Leconte's thrasher just a few miles south of I-40 on the
      road that leads to Amboy. White-headed woodpecker's were located along
      the road to Mt. Pinos, and we struck out on mountain quail (not sure
      what they do in winter under these snowy conditions). I have a question
      regarding a thrasher sighting just off highway 183 at Mormon Rocks Park.
      This area is located a bit west of San Bernardino (Wrightwood is the
      nearest town). Looked to be a crissal thrasher (a dark bird with brown
      undertail coverts). I have seen crissal thrashers before (on perhaps six
      different occasions) in past jaunts through New Mexico and Arizona, and
      am not personally familiar with California thrasher for comparison. Is
      the crissal thrasher known to range this far west, and at this
      elevation? A second brief question: we spotted a few kingbirds in an
      urban setting at Hemet - seemed a bit wrong (too dark, and didn't sound
      right) for western. Were these probably cassin's kingbirds? Thank you,
      and good birding.

      Paul Duval
      Columbia, MO