Re: [CALBIRDS] Gray "morph" [?] varied thrush

  • Kevin McKereghan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 24, 2002
      I used 'morph' for lack of a better term. In certainly
      do not understand what is going on with these bird. It
      seems that while very rare, it is not a unique and
      maybe be regularly occuring in an extremely small
      percentage of the population, like the blue form of
      Ross's Goose. Whatever the case I am glad to read all
      the comments on this bird, as little out there on it.

      On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, "Kenneth P. Able" wrote:

      > This plumage of varied thrush represents a whole new
      > world to me. I had
      > never heard of it prior to the recent posts. I
      wonder,
      > however, whether
      > it is appropriate to refer to this variant as a
      > "morph". Morph implies
      > one variety of a polymorphic species (red and gray
      > eastern screech-owls,
      > blue and white Ross's geese). Is that the case here
      or
      > are these gray
      > varied thrushes really mutant or otherwise aberrant
      > color variants? We
      > wouldn't refer to melanistic or leucistic individuals
      > as "morphs". I
      > would be interested to learn more about these
      creatures.

      href="http://mail.thegasstation.net/jump/http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS">http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CALBIRDS</a>

      > For vacation suspension of mail go to the website.
      > Click on Edit My Membership and set your mail option
      > No Email. Or, send a blank email to these addresses:
      > Turn off email delivery:
      > mailto:CALBIRDS-nomail@yahoogroups.com
      > Resume email delivery:
      > mailto:CALBIRDS-normal@yahoogroups.com