Sedge Wren continues

  • Les Chibana
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
      The Sedge Wren was seen again today, 12/10/02, at Half Moon Bay
      State Beach in coastal San Mateo County. It was seen this morning
      from sometime before I got there (around 10:40a) at least until 1:00p.
      Other birders, Christie (sp? last name?) and Barbara Costa were there
      after I left. It was in the same general area as posted before, today
      only about 30-40 yards along the roped trail through the scrub. At one
      point, it came within 12 feet of the trail.

      The bird called intermittently which was the best way to be aware of
      where to look, as it is a real skulker. We timed many of its perches in
      the open using fractions of a second. Sibley's description of it being
      very secretive is right on the money! I may have captured some photo
      images, but my film is still in my camera.

      The chip notes were often given in two's. The notes sounded fairly
      sharp as if it had less spit in its bill compared to a nearby Common
      Yellowthroat. The overall coloration was lighter brown than a typical
      Marsh Wren (MAWR). The crown was dark with light streaks giving it
      a lighter appearance than a MAWR. The throat was whitish, the breast
      was a pale beige or buff, the flanks orangey. The barring in the wing
      coverts was noticeable (one of the features that Don Roberson noted
      on his web page for this bird). It lacked the black mantle with white
      streaks found on MAWR. The face was plain with the supercillium
      having a weak presence (not very contrasting). The bill was on the
      short-side compared, again, to a MAWR.

      The Long-tailed Duck also continues at Princeton Harbor. I could not
      find the Swamp Sparrow along Higgins-Purisima Rd. at the Historic
      Johnston House.

      Les
      --
      Les Chibana
      BirdNUTZ(TM) - Ornigasmic Birding
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 16, 2005
        The SEDGE WREN in South San Francisco was well seen and heard by a number of birders today. I arrived shortly after 1100 and others already had the bird staked out. Pete LaTourrette and I managed to get a few photographs and Alvaro Jaramillo obtained a recording of it calling.

        The bird was in approximately the same area Ron Thorn described yesterday. His directions are:

        "...the SEDGE WREN was still present in the salt
        marsh behind the building 270 Littlefield Avenue in South San Francisco.
        The Sedge Wren was in the scattered brush in the lush green vegetation
        near the pile of rocks near the public access trail about 30 yd. east of
        the blue sign for the public access trail."

        Dan Singer
        Pacifica