RFI for Orange Bishop in the LA area for an out of town birder

  • Birders2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2002
      Hi,

      Have another request from an out of state birder. Wants information on the
      Orange Bishop and Pinyon Jays.

      Have no info on the Orange Bishops. I think I have only seen them at the LA
      River near Glendale.

      My sightings of the Pinyon Jays have been in the Lone Pine - Bishop area.
      Does anyone know of other places where they maybe seen closer to LA or in
      that area during the last weeks of December?

      Thanks.
    • Steve Sosensky
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2002
        At 07:48 PM 12/10/2002 -0500, Birders2@... wrote:
        >Have no info on the Orange Bishops. I think I have only seen them at the LA
        >River near Glendale.

        There were several Orange Bishops at Eldorado Park yesterday in the
        southwest corner of the Nature Center, along with lots of Nutmeg Mannikens.
        To get to this spot, take the trail to and past the observation platform.
        In a while, there is a path to the right with a rope across it. (This is a
        vehicular barrier. I've been in this area when maintenance trucks have been
        there and nobody has told me to leave.) Follow this path to a paved
        maintenance road. The Bishops were to the left in the seeded weeds and
        grasses on the left side of the road.

        At this time of year, Orange Bishops are completing their pre-basic molt.
        Males are showing their last vestiges of orange, and look like tailless
        sparrows or small Bobolinks. Birders should look for sparrows that fly in a
        heads-up attitude, presenting their breasts, rather than their bills, in
        the direction of flight.

        >My sightings of the Pinyon Jays have been in the Lone Pine - Bishop area.
        >Does anyone know of other places where they maybe seen closer to LA or in
        >that area during the last weeks of December?

        A couple of weeks ago, I was at Black Rock Campground, the part of Joshua
        Tree NP that is accessed via Joshua Tree Lane in Yucca Valley. There were
        plenty of Pinyon Jays there. Also present were Gambel's Quail, Rock and
        Cactus Wrens, Ladder-backed Woodpeckers, and Black-throated Sparrows.
        Scott's Orioles have left for the winter.

        Good birding,
        Steve <mailto:steve@...> for general use

        10834 Blix Street #213 818-508-4946
        Toluca Lake, CA 91602 34:09:23.411 N, 118:21:56.678 W
        SoCal FRS: use channel 11 code 22
      • Charles Bragg
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2002
          At 07:48 PM 12/10/2002 -0500, Birders2@... wrote:

          >My sightings of the Pinyon Jays have been in the Lone Pine - Bishop area.
          >Does anyone know of other places where they maybe seen closer to LA or in
          >that area during the last weeks of December?

          It doesn't happen every year, but last Butterbredt Christmas Count we had a large flock (40) noshing among the Joshua trees on the Butterbredt road.

          -- Chuck

          PS: who are you? No signature, but the address seems strangely familiar.....
          ========
          Chuck Bragg, Pacific Palisades, CA
          Membership Chair
          Santa Monica Bay Audubon Society:
          http://smbas.cjb.net
          ========
        • Chuck & Lillian
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2002
            If you don't see Pinyon Jays at Black Rock Campground (see below), try nearby La Contenta Rd, a graded dirt road to Lower & Upper Covington Flat picnic area. From the intersection of 29 Palms Hwy (Hwy 62) and Old Woman Springs (Hwy 247) in Yucca Valley, go east about 2.8 miles to Yucca Mesa Rd (on the left). Turn right (this may also be Yucca Mesa, or may be La Contenta). In about 1 mile this will cross Yucca Trail/Alta Loma Rd and (according to the map) continues south as the graded dirt road. Stick to the left when it forks, following the signs towards the picnic area. Last spring we found a large flock of PJ's about 4 miles along this road from Yucca Trail. We didn't see any after we reached the area that was severely burned out.

            From Black Rock Campground, go back towards town, but turn off on Palomar Rd and continue due north (downhill) to Yucca Trail. Turn right, and continue east about 1.1 miles to La Contenta. Turn right and you are now on the graded dirt road.

            Don't try the short cut (ha, ha - yeah, right!) shown on maps between Black Rock and La Contenta that runs past Machris Park, unless you have time to waste, high clearance, like getting bogged in the sand and maybe want to camp overnight.

            Alternatively, the Pines to Palms Hwy #74 as it runs through Garner Valley southeast of Lake Hemet on the south side of Mt. San Jacinto is moderately reliable for PJ's. And I once saw a Williamson's Sapsucker in the woods north of the Hurkey Creek Campground, near the graded dirt road accessible just east of the campground, but that was in late April..

            yours,
            Chuck Almdale