December 16th Monterey Bay Pelagic CBC

  • toddamcgrath <SKUA@MSN.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2002
      Calbirders:

      I am forwading the folowing note on the upcoming Monterey Bay Pelagic
      CBC for Debi Shearwater. It is a unique count, and I hope some of you
      can join her.

      Todd McGrath
      Skua@M...
      Marina Del Rey CA

      Hello, Seabirders,
      The entirely pelagic Monterey Bay Submarine Canyon Christmas Bird
      Count,first started in 1983, will be held on Monday, December 16th.
      We welcome all birders, advanced and beginners, alike. We will be
      aboard the boat from 7:30 am until 3 or 3:30 pm. Past CBC's have
      found Yellow-billed (rare), Common, Pacific and Red-throated Loons;
      Red-necked, Western, and Clark's Grebes; Laysan, Black-footed and
      Short-tailed (very rare) Albatrosses; Northern Fulmar; Pink-footed,
      Flesh-footed, Sooty, Short-tailed, Black-vented and Manx Shearwaters;
      Brandt's and Pelagic Cormorants; Red and Red-necked Phalarope;
      Pomarine Jaeger; Common Murre; Pigeon Guillemot; Ancient Murrelet;
      Cassin's and Rhinoceros Auklets; Tufted Puffin.One never knows on
      pelagic trips. Everyone thought that our CBC on December 21, 1998
      would be weathered-out, owing to 60 mph winds that had been blowing
      the day prior to count day! Out we went, and only 3 miles off of Point
      Pinos, Steve Howell, spotted an immature Short-tailed Albatross in
      arching flight, high over the stern of our boat! For several folks
      from out-of-state, it was the first albatross they had ever seen!
      Such a prize.We will meet at 7:30 am at Chris' Fishing Shop on
      Fishermans' Wharf in Monterey. If you would like to go, simply show
      up, dress very warmly,inlcuding raingear, bring food and drinks. The
      boat fee is $75/person, and the CBC fee is $5/person. (Please do not
      send a check, bring cash to the dock). Leaders on this trip include:
      Steve Howell, Alan Hopkins, Alvaro Jaramillo, Luke Cole, and Debra
      Shearwater.
      Good seabirding,
      Debra Shearwater
      ---