Borrego Scouting Trip 12/10/02

  • MiriamEagl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10 3:26 PM
      Hi, all!

      Today was a good news/bad news day: met Paul Jorgensen at the road into the
      Borrego sewer ponds at dawn in hopes of kicking up a Crissal Thrasher. Paul
      wanted to see how responsive the wintering Sage Sparrows were to a tape, and
      boy did they pop up! Got the usual Lincoln's Sparrows, Marsh Wren, and a
      Savannah Sparrow in the marsh, plus the usual tons of Whitecrowns. Down
      towards the end a shrike was singing along with several Mockers and Phains.
      We tried the Crissal tape, and hallelujah, the thing popped up briefly on top
      of a mesquite! It did so twice more, betraying its position with its
      "chewy-chewy" call, and the last look was terrific, in wonderful light, and
      when the bird flew it gave a great view of its rusty crissum! Got Rock Wren
      on the way out, plus a cooperative young Harrier just coming into "manhood"
      (he drove a nice sparrow flock in our direction when he flew past...).

      From there we went to Yaqui Well, where we finally heard a Ladder-backed
      Woodpecker call, but way in the distance. Had a nice flock of California
      Quail at the well itself, and a couple of flocks of Western Bluebirds.
      Gnatcatchers were all over, and back at the car, as I left Paul to wander
      back towards Tamarisk Grove while I made a phone call (don't bother trying at
      Yaqui Well: it doesn't work...), he found a pair of Ladderbacks right by the
      road!

      The bad news was that we dipped on the LeConte's this time, even with a tape,
      which concerned us. Tons of Sage Sparrows were still around, plus more
      gnatcatchers, but today's outing reminded us that even at this pretty
      reliable spot, the bird isn't guaranteed!

      Swung by Borrego Palm Canyon where we almost dipped on the Black-throated
      Sparrows, but they finally came through. Costa's Hummers were easy, and
      Verdins were calling, but nothing much else except a Say's Phoebe at the
      trailhead. We both were amazed at the fact that to date we haven't run into
      one Cactus Wren!

      We both had to make it a short day due to other commitments; with a stop at
      Ramona Pond I had 44 species for the day. Bird list:

      Pied-billed Grebe Podilymbus podiceps
      Snowy Egret Egretta thula
      Cattle Egret Bubulcus ibis
      Lesser Scaup Aythya affinis
      Bufflehead Bucephala albeola
      Ruddy Duck Oxyura jamaicensis
      Northern Harrier Circus cyaneus
      Red-tailed Hawk Buteo jamaicensis
      California Quail Callipepla californica
      American Coot Fulica americana
      Black-necked Stilt Himantopus mexicanus
      Killdeer Charadrius vociferus
      Least Sandpiper Calidris minutilla
      Rock Dove Columba livia
      Mourning Dove Zenaida macroura
      Anna's Hummingbird Calypte anna
      Costa's Hummingbird Calypte costae
      Ladder-backed Woodpecker Picoides scalaris
      Black Phoebe Sayornis nigricans
      Say's Phoebe Sayornis saya
      Phainopepla Phainopepla nitens
      Cedar Waxwing Bombycilla cedrorum
      Rock Wren Salpinctes obsoletus
      Bewick's Wren Thryomanes bewickii
      Marsh Wren Cistothorus palustris
      Northern Mockingbird Mimus polyglottos
      Crissal Thrasher Toxostoma crissale
      Western Bluebird Sialia mexicana
      Black-tailed Gnatcatcher Polioptila melanura
      Bushtit Psaltriparus minimus
      Verdin Auriparus flaviceps
      Loggerhead Shrike Lanius ludovicianus
      American Crow Corvus brachyrhynchos
      Common Raven Corvus corax
      House Finch Carpodacus mexicanus
      Black-throated Sparrow Amphispiza bilineata
      Sage Sparrow Amphispiza belli
      Savannah Sparrow Passerculus sandwichensis
      Song Sparrow Melospiza melodia
      Lincoln's Sparrow Melospiza lincolnii
      White-crowned Sparrow Zonotrichia leucophrys
      Brewer's Blackbird Euphagus cyanocephalus

      44 SPECIES

      Mary Beth Stowe
      MiriamEagl@...
      San Diego, CA