FYI: link to updated Kern County photo checklist

  • Alison Sheehey
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
      Hi Birders and Friends

      The list of Kern County birds has been updated to reflect the recent
      changes in order and nomenclature on the Seventh Edition of the AOU
      Checklist of North American Birds.
      http://www.natureali.com/KC_BIRDS.htm

      This year supplement (43rd) included the following changed of interest
      to Kern County birders.
      Roseate Spoonbill genus changed to Platalea ajaja.
      Common Snipe Split--G. galinago delicata becomes Wilson's Snipe,
      Gallinago delicata. G. galinago galinago becomes Common Snipe, Galinago
      galinago, our local species is Wilson's Snipe, where Common Snipe
      distributed in Eurasia.
      Red Phalarope specific epithet gender changed to match genus Phalaropus
      fulicarius.
      Blue Grosbeak genus changed to Passerina caerulea.

      Changes back to 1987 are listed at the bottom of the page.

      I have added many photos so the page is disgustingly slow to load on my
      dial-up connection, and I presume would even be slow on DSL. There is an
      alternative text page but many people enjoy the image to go along with
      the bird. http://www.natureali.com/KC_BIRDS_text.htm Some of the images
      are courtesy of other photographer/birders, special thanks to Dan
      Lockshaw for the many high quality images he provided. My friend Diane
      Hislop sent me a what is THIS photo, that is the best image of a male
      Hooded Oriole I could find. I thank her as well. The cuckoo is provided
      courtesy of the Kern River Research Center, but I am not sure who took
      the photo yet. All other images were taken by me, from wild birds,
      captive, or stuffed.

      If anyone would like to donate high quality photos to the page, I will
      gladly upload them with the name of the photographer and year of photo.
      The photos are all 150 pixels wide to ease upload time but to make them
      still legible.

      Any comments or questions, please let me know. Thank you.

      Alison Sheehey
      Mountain Mesa, CA

      Nature Ali - www.NatureAli.com Educating the world about Kern County,
      California's unique biodiversity.
      www.natureali.com
      Nature Ali is a non-profit organization with the intent of researching
      and listing all of the biological resources in Kern County, California.
      These lists are intended to provide information to persons' interested
      in protecting this vast and unique environment from excessive resource
      development.
      This one person endeavor can be supported by donating through
      Amazon.com's honor system pay page.
      http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/pay/T1FHZB5LIJKHZW/102-4520768-6138509
      Thank you for your support.
    • Alison Sheehey
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2002
        Hi again to Birders and Friends

        The list of Kern County birds had an errant piece of code that wasn't
        allowing it to load properly, I have fixed this. I would appreciate a
        note if anyone notices anything else wrong with the page.